Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] program gets jammed running under thin client

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 15 July 2009]

I encountered a problem with activating an event-procedure under thin client:
In this simple program the user selects some options to make a report, then clicks the ?print?button. While the program is busy making that report, the screen remains visible. When the user now clicks on a button which activates an event-procedure in the program (though the screen is not accepted at that time), the program seems to loose track and gets jammed.
When normally executing such a program, doing so (though not usefull, but it happens..) does not cause any problem; only when the program runs under thin client.
Is there an option or config-variable to prevent this? I wouldn't like to change all simular programs to destroy or inactivate the screen while the program is busy.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] program gets jammed running under thin client

There isn't a config variable for this. You have the option of before the call to the print to disable all controls on your screen and then re-enable them once the call completes.

You should report your issue to Customer Care as there may be some fixes that solve the issue
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thank you Dilbert for your reaction,
I will do so (send an Email; would it be correct to send it to nesupport@acucorp.com?), but I hoped to get a solution without changing these kind of programs.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It's been my experience that it is a good idea to disable controls if you don't want to get events back from them as Dilbert suggested.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We've been down this road too.
My own experience is that the "click" should be an EX-CMD-CLICKED and not an EV-CMD-CLICKED and disable the controls also.

Also, depending on what your program is doing i.e. how long it takes to finish you might want to think about some sort of progress indicator working in a thread.
This will nearly guarantee that your program won't as you describe lockup/jam or in my case show a "Remote host has stopped responding"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We do as Shaun has suggested - always show a progress bar with a 'STOP' button that runs is a separate thread whenever there is a possible long time for collection of data for grids/lists etc. The only time this doesn't help is if a call to C$SYSTEM is in progress as this also suspends the other threads in the run unit including the progress thread (really annoying behaviour). I have attached a sample where a large amount of data movements are collected - all buttons and events etc. are captured in the other thread showing the progress bar.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.