Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] scheduled DTS and AcuODBC

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 02 January 2006]

Hello erveryone,
I've this strange behaviour: we've got a W2003 wserver running a SQL 2000 Server. On this server there's installed a standalone ODBC client for feeding some SQL databases.
We've got a DTS package that works fine when manually run from dts configuration tool, but when scheduled it doesen't execute correctly, 'cos it's not able to reach open the configured tables.
The Vision files to be accessed via ODBC are on a samba server with particoular security restrictions, so we think the problem is due to the user SQL uses to run the scheduled package.
Has anyone an idea to solve this or to force SQL Agent to use a defined user to run the process?
TIA Giovanni
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] scheduled DTS and AcuODBC

I figure your problem is that the processes, when ran automatically are ran as Local Administrator, thus it does not see any network resources.

To my knowledge, there are two ways to overcome this;

A) Change so that your process runs in the namespace of a user known to the network (typically you would make a designated user in the domain for this, but I am no IS techie so you will have to ask your IS department how to do this).

B) Copy the resources (Vision data and AcuODBC) locally.

There might be more alternatives as well, but I do not know this that well, I feel confident though, that this is an issue related to the services default to run in Local Admin mode and Local Admins have no access to a network by default.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] scheduled DTS and AcuODBC

Hi Gisle,
thank U for your suggestion, we temporarily solved thingh using a scheduled task command line dtsrun start of the process: specifying the owner and the user in command line our first test were able to run AcuODBC correctly.
Next days we'll look for working on Domain user launching the service.
I found many infos about it in:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=269074
but I found in MSDN newsgroups many issues on problems related to DTS scheduled run not directly related to that Kb Article.
Again many thanks for your effortless support, and happy new year!
Giovanni
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.