Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] vision 3 files

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 29 December 2004]

I have been an acucobol user for many years. In my menu program which calls all other programs I use set environment to use vision 3 files in my application. I am now installing a user of my application whose files will be large. Would I be better off performance wise or for any other reason using a later version of vision?
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] vision 3 files

I'm not aware of any better performance, but if you start getting close to a 2 gig file size you definitely want to consider vision 4. When you hit 2 gig it's an abrupt stop!

Also, if you're under unix you'll want to check your system ulimit also.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On very large files, slow rebuilds might be an issue for you, and I'm not positive, but I think rebuilds are faster in vision 5.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We use VV3 files in order to keep the number of files open to a minimum (VV4+ would open 2 files per FD).

Rob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mike,
Another option is to keep the majority of your files in vision 3 and just convert the vary large files to visiion 4/5. Vutil utility will let you convert vision versions on a file.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are using Vision 3 since 1992 and before to change to vision 5 I have made my own performance tests.

With a Windows 2003 server and windows stations ( W2003, 2000, XP ) :
The results are very diff?rents if I am using Network or not and if i am using W(XP/2000/2003) or W98

in some case, using vision 5 files is 50% slower than vision 3 with the same runtime. !!!

I have not yet checked on a Linux or Unix pateforme..

In fact, It seems that the OPEN FILE verb is very the slowest.

I join a Excel sheet with the result ... take a look
PS : You have to rename the file with an xls extension

++
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

After having discussions with AcuCorp about this same situation, I would recommend staying with VV3 unless you have a need for VV5. In other words, if you don't need any of the feature enhancements that require VV5, then stay with VV3. This seems to be an easy recommendation to give after your performance findings... 😉

When I spoke with AcuCorp about this over the summer, they assured me that there are no plans to discontinue supporting VV3 format.

Rob
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.