Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
barbmathews Absent Member.
Absent Member.

file permissions in acucobol

We are addressing security issues & can't figure out what determines the read-write access on vision data files created in unix by our acucobol programs.  We have played with the umasks in the user profiles & they seem to have no affect, so I'm thinking there's a umask somewhere in a config file but I can't find any documentation.   Need to know how this works in AIX, Linux & SCO.  Does anybody know?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: file permissions in acucobol

Hi Barb,

I take your referring to a runtime, and not AcuServer / AcuConnect (where there is a way to assign umask).The user permissions who started the runtime typically establishes the umask. There isn't a umask  configuration variable. In many ways, on Unix it is governed by your environment, is there a script that sets up the environment, or is the environment based on a user login.The runtime will write (read / write) files in a directory. This gives you three areas to look at, The user (perhaps their profile) or script that provides their permissions, what group are they (what permissions are set for the group), and then the directory tree, are the directories and sub-directories have the appropriate read / write permissions.

Steve

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.