Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
dkl
New Member.

increasing overhead memory

In Extend version 10.1 (wrun32) there seems to be a memory leak.
I have a program that calls many COBOL subroutines. This process is repeated very often. The COBOL subroutines should be removed from the memory after every run with "cancel all". After the program has run for several hours, it crashes without further error message. The only hint can be found in the error file via the runtime switch "-e errfile". There is "out of memory".
During several debug attempts, I could see that the overhead memory is constantly and strongly growing.
Does anyone have any advice on how the overhead memory can be freed?
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: increasing overhead memory

Use the debugger, and monitor the memory usage (using the U command) at various places

Note that the problem could be a runtime memory leak. It could just as easily be a memory leak caused by the program not freeing some resource it is allocating. The U command will suggest that as a possibility (if the memory usage increases continuously), and the memory descriptions would tell Customer Care exactly what memory is not being freed.
0 Likes
dkl
New Member.

RE: increasing overhead memory

I already have monitored the memory usage with the U command.
The memory usage for programs/files and windows remains almost unchanged, so there is no problem.
Only the memory usage for Overhead increases continuously.
In my understanding, the cancel of a program should normally release the entire memory occupied by it.
All subroutines are Cobol programs that do not use any external resources.
I have also tried to create an ACU_DUMP. Unfortunately this does not work, when the memory runs out.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.