Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

log off users automatically

I would like to send a message to everyone logged on on the system and let  them know the system will be going down in 5 minutes.

If they do not log off I would like to force the log off systematically.

I believe I can use MSG.EXE to send a message to all on the network.

Is there a process that would log off a user and close the vision files appropriately?

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: log off users automatically

"shutdown.exe" (Microsoft utility in the %windir%\system32 folder) will shutdown the computer on the schedule you want (in 5 minutes for example), and allows you to send a message to all connected users. You can see a description of the various options on the following page:

ss64.com/.../shutdown.html

PsShutdown is an enhanced version of shutdown.exe.  You can read about it at:

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb897541.aspx

In order to log off remote users (by IP or Computer Name), there is a VBScript you can use that is discussed at the link below.

www.sevenforums.com/.../162047-remote-logoff-users.html

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Shane.

I need to be more clear. I want to inhibit logging on to my system. I do not want to shutdown. I just want to perform some tasks with no one on the system.

1) I want to send everyone a message telling everyone to log off.

2) Log off anyone still on the system

3) keep the system to perform various task with everyone off

4) allow log on and send a message to all machines telling them that they can log on now.

I want to log them out of the vision file system so no files will be in use.

Is there a way to process #2 function?

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The VBScript discussed in the third link allows you to log off remote users.

You can use "NET FILE" on the server to see what files are still open.  It shows you the User Name with the file open (instead of the Computer Name).  This will allow you to confirm everyone has closed the Vision files you are concerned about.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.