Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

--netexe and --netdll

Jump to solution

Probably a  very simple question, but this is the first time I am trying to generate .Net assemblies or dlls.

I use ccbl32 --netexe 2.0 nettest.cbl and the compile goes through with no errors, bur I only get a .acu file, I do not get a .exe file

if I use ccbl32 --netdll 2.0 nettest.cbl  once again compiles with no errors and I get the .Netmodule and .acu files, but no .dll

I am no doubt doing something dumb but I cant see what it is, any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: --netexe and --netdll

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I have solved the problem. AL.EXE was not installed as it is part of the SDK, not part of the .Net Framework. I downloaded and installed the SDK and now everything works

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

what version are you using .. there was a fix for 8.1.2 ... ecn3938: 8.1.2 Correction: Using --netdll:2.0 compile option

and a different fix for 9.1.2 ... ecn4171: 9.1.2 Correction: --netdll fails

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I am using 8.1.3 as I say, it doesnt fail, it completes, apparently successfully , I get the .Netmodule and _CVM.dll but no nettest.dll and when using --netexe I only get the nettest.acu I dont get any nettest.exe

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Some more information, when using --netexe although the .acu file is created, it still displays

ccbl32.exe [options] source_file

ccbl32 .exe -help

on completion, and as I recall, if these display when doing a normal compile, the compiler is not happy about something, and is asking for more command line input. May be a coincidence but I just mention it. I can't see anything missing, from my command line ccbl32 --netexe 2.0 nettest.cbl  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I believe ccbl32 --netexe  nettest.cbl  will work, the ccbl32 --netexe 2.0 nettest.cbl ... the 2.0 portion is messing with the compile line

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

we missed using the colon it isn't  ccbl32 --netexe 2.0 nettest.cbl

it should be ccbl32 --netexe:2.0 nettest.cbl  ..  this works for me

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks shjerpe, doesnt solve the problem but I do get a different result. To summarise, if I dont use the colon, I get no errors, bur also no nettest.exe file. If I include the colon, the .acu file is still produced, but the attempt to create the .exe file fails with RC 2 (I presume this is Return Code 2)  but I cant find anywhere in the documentation what return code 2 means in this instance, any idea where I should look?    

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I have solved the problem. AL.EXE was not installed as it is part of the SDK, not part of the .Net Framework. I downloaded and installed the SDK and now everything works

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.