What Does Mobility Mean?

What Does Mobility Mean?

I was having this discussion earlier in the week with a person I met here in India about what mobility means. I  Figured I'd see how closely this is to what you all think? For me mobility doesn't mean just working on my cell phone or my tablet. For me mobility means that I can be anywhere -- my PC at home, my laptop here in the hotel, my phone, my tablet, a loner PC in the Bangalore office -- and I can get the work I need to get done done.

Novell has great solutions for making this a reality. If you think about what you do it most likely involves one or more of these things:

• Files. Whether you want to or not you are most likely using files every day. Most of the time these files exist on your device or on some server somewhere. The great thing about Novell is we've got a tremendous history with files, and probably understand them as well or better than anyone else out there. We've got great solutions for the data center for securing and managing files, but those stories are only as good as the access user's have to it. With Novell Filr users can basically have the data center in their pocket. It doesn't matter whether they are on their Android phone, their iOS tablet, or their office or home PC they have access to all of the files from anywhere.

• Print. People have been predicting the demise of print for decades and yet here we are in 2014 and printers are far from dead. With Novell iPrint you've got a great solution that allows you to print from just about anywhere. Got your iOS device? Use Airprint to print to your nearest iPrint printer. Got Android? Use the app. Need to print from a library PC to a corporate printer? Send an email to the printer. With Novell iPrint even your old printers can be used from anywhere.

• Collaboration. We all have tools that we use to collaborate and work with others. Novell has a great set of tools including Novell GroupWise, Novell GroupWise Mobility Server, Novell Vibe and Novell Messenger that when put together make up a great collaboration platform. With Novell GroupWise you can get your mail anywhere, with Vibe you can easily collaborate with adhoc or static teams using either the app for your mobile platform or any web browser, and while Messenger currently only works for Mac and Windows we'll soon bring this great tool to the iOS and Android platform.

• Device Management. Mobility is great for the end user, but it can be a nightmare for the IT group. Suddenly they've got requests for apps, devices and data that they've never even considered. With the Novell ZENworks product line we've got you covered. Using the tools in this solution you can lock down the devices that you want to, publish applications to just about any device, encrypt the device to secure it when corporate data is stored and much more.

So, what is mobility? For the end user it's being able to get their work done in the most productive way possible. For IT its another tool to enable productivity, that IT has to ensure doesn't compromise the security of the company's devices, data, or infrastructure. Novell has great solutions that help make this a reality.

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2014-09-08 17:51
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.