Absent Member.
Absent Member.

After Filr 2.0 upgrade I cannot save files to the folder

After updating to Filr 2.0 I updated the Filr desktop client and I can open documents in the Filr folder but when I try to save a new document from Word it stays grayed out and it won't save the file. CPU usage is also very high and it just hangs. Eventually I'm able to cancel it. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and I'm still getting the same problem. If I stop the Filr Service CPU and disk activity drop to normal. I can restart it and everything's fine until I try saving a document again and then it shoots up and everything slows down.

Dan
0 Likes
19 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

DanPearson;2426801 wrote:
After updating to Filr 2.0 I updated the Filr desktop client and I can open documents in the Filr folder but when I try to save a new document from Word it stays grayed out and it won't save the file. CPU usage is also very high and it just hangs. Eventually I'm able to cancel it. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and I'm still getting the same problem. If I stop the Filr Service CPU and disk activity drop to normal. I can restart it and everything's fine until I try saving a document again and then it shoots up and everything slows down.

Dan

Are you on the latest support patch/hot patch? I thought there was something similar to what you describe that had been fixed, but I may be mis-remembering.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Dan,

Save as in word is grayed out when saving to a Filr mapped folder on the workstation, or to any location?
Do any other applications happen to work?

How are you opening the word application (or where from)? Are these new docs, or existing files that already exist in the Filr mapped folders (open, edit, and save kind of thing)?

Shane Nielson Kind of alright at doing stuff with the computer thing
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is the latest HP release for Filr (2.0 HP1)

I am running MS Office 2013 on Windows 10 and Filr Desktop. When I run Word I can save documents to other folders just fine, however, when I select a Filr folder it takes a long time and then gives the browse dialog box with the filename box grayed out and OK grayed out. I can only select Cancel (which I have to click multiple times. I can see the CPU goes higher than normal. Existing Filr folder documents will open fine and can be saved. But I cannot do a Save as... to another Filr folder.

Also tried with Notepad++ and had the same thing happen.

Thanks,
Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

DanPearson;2427094 wrote:
This is the latest HP release for Filr (2.0 HP1)

I am running MS Office 2013 on Windows 10 and Filr Desktop. When I run Word I can save documents to other folders just fine, however, when I select a Filr folder it takes a long time and then gives the browse dialog box with the filename box grayed out and OK grayed out. I can only select Cancel (which I have to click multiple times. I can see the CPU goes higher than normal. Existing Filr folder documents will open fine and can be saved. But I cannot do a Save as... to another Filr folder.

Also tried with Notepad++ and had the same thing happen.

Thanks,
Dan

For what it's worth, no issue here with Win 7 Pro SP1 Enterprise edition, Office 2013, and Filr 2.0 HP1 desktop client.

Do you have any AV software installed or other security software that may be interferring?
--Kevin
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have opened a SR with Novell but am waiting for several days now for a response.

I only have the default Windows 10 Defender installed for AV. I can save a document to any other folder and then move it to the Filr folder and it works and then I can open and save it. I guess it has something to do with Windows 10 and the dll's used to process the save dialog window. I'm surprised it has not shown up with more people.

I also noticed the Windows File History backup fails if I include the Filr folder in the backup. If I exclude the parent folder it runs fine.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

DanPearson;2427896 wrote:
I have opened a SR with Novell but am waiting for several days now for a response.

I only have the default Windows 10 Defender installed for AV. I can save a document to any other folder and then move it to the Filr folder and it works and then I can open and save it. I guess it has something to do with Windows 10 and the dll's used to process the save dialog window. I'm surprised it has not shown up with more people.

I also noticed the Windows File History backup fails if I include the Filr folder in the backup. If I exclude the parent folder it runs fine.

If you're not getting movement on the SR, I would advise to post in the "Ask a technical manager" forum and post your SR #. They can help move things along.

I only just recently setup Windows 10 in a VM and it's truly atrocious (IMO), but I can certainly feel your pain.

--Kevin
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Strange.. I've been on Windows 10 since it was released. None of the applications I use (including office 2013 products) have issues saving directly into the Filr mapped folder.
How many workstations of your are running into this issue?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Interesting. I have only tried it on my desktop and my laptop and both had the same problem. I didn't want to install it on others' if they were going to run into the same problem. I don't know if it's some interaction with other software I have installed, but it's not anything out of the ordinary.

Is there an issue with having a large number of files in the folder? I have about 1,400 files in my Word folder where it is the biggest problem. I found that I can save a doc to other filr folders that have fewer files and it seems that the more files that are in the folder, the slower it responds.

Dan Pearson
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Oh good point.. I'll create a bunch of dummy files in a folder, and see if that puts a load the Filr desktop to a point of just locking up.
I'll let you know how it goes..

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

Am 25.04.2016 um 19:36 schrieb DanPearson:
>
> This is the latest HP release for Filr (2.0 HP1)
>
> I am running MS Office 2013 on Windows 10 and Filr Desktop. When I run
> Word I can save documents to other folders just fine, however, when I
> select a Filr folder it takes a long time and then gives the browse
> dialog box with the filename box grayed out and OK grayed out. I can
> only select Cancel (which I have to click multiple times. I can see the
> CPU goes higher than normal. Existing Filr folder documents will open
> fine and can be saved. But I cannot do a Save as... to another Filr
> folder.

Similar issue here under Windows 7 and O2k13:
I switched my "own documents" folder to a sub folder of filr

If I save to this folder, it takes a long time (1-2 minutes) to finish
the process. Eventually Windows will reporting Word as crashed, bit
ignoring this message, Word will come back.

Go

--
Gotthard Anger
Anwenderbetreuung Netzwerkadministration
Landeskirchenamt der EKM
gotthardanger@no-mx.forums.novell.com
http://forums.novell.com/member.php?u=35038
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is being tracked in Novell Bug # 977305.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.