Heintraag Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cannot deploy OVF into vmware vsphere 5.1

I got three systems running Vsphere 5.1 and i cannot deploy the filr ovf on any of them. I get a very helpfull System Error message but no clue as to why it is failing.

I downloaded the filr file from the download page of Novell and followed the instructions here: https://www.novell.com/documentation/novell-filr1/filr1_inst/data/b12r2lau.html

Even Vmware workstation 8 will not import the OVF.

I really want to have a go at testing Filr. The sooner we get rid of Dropbox the better! It would be nice if someone can tell me what we are doing wrong at this point.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cannot deploy OVF into vmware vsphere 5.1

Heintraag;2269078 wrote:
I got three systems running Vsphere 5.1 and i cannot deploy the filr ovf on any of them. I get a very helpfull System Error message but no clue as to why it is failing.

I downloaded the filr file from the download page of Novell and followed the instructions here: https://www.novell.com/documentation/novell-filr1/filr1_inst/data/b12r2lau.html

Even Vmware workstation 8 will not import the OVF.

I really want to have a go at testing Filr. The sooner we get rid of Dropbox the better! It would be nice if someone can tell me what we are doing wrong at this point.

I hate to ask, but are you using 7-Zip to extract the download from Novell?

If not, that may be the reason why.

Winzip (for some reason) doesn't work right for however Novell compressed the file.

I have to 7-zip the file to get to the other uncompressed file, and then 7-zip (unzip) THAT file, so that it'll make the directory with the 3 files (I think 3 files) in it.
0 Likes
sveld1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Did you crc check the downloaded zip file?

Best regards, Sebastiaan Veld If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Heintraag;2269078 wrote:

Anymore detail on the error? I've imported the appliance into a couple of 5.1 hosts, that should not be a problem.

As others stated, have you checked the md5sum of your downloads with those listed on the Filr download page?

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Heintraag Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I used 7-zip to unzip the files we downloaded.

I got it installed now. I used ovftool from vmware workstation to convert the ovf to a vmx. And then i could register that vmx into vsphere 5.1

Now battling with the LDAP part of the setup. It can read the groups but somehow users are not downloaded into Filr. I understand basic forum rules so i will post this question elsewhere 🙂 Thanks for the replies!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.