Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
wtbt Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Filr 101 upgrade questions

Hi!

We run Filr 1.0.1 since quite some time, but our users never came to use it much as we went Google some time after we introduced it. However, we do need it, mostly for our older users who have been with us well since we all used dekstops and logged in, had drive mappings and all, like it was in the old days. Some of them have tons of important stuff in homedirs and shared dirs that they somehow occasionally need to access from the New Way of Doing Things (ie Mac:s and BYOD).
Problem is, our Filr has issues, some users just cannot log into it, LDAP user sync shows same modifications to be done every time we run it, nonexistent net folder servers cannot be removed because they are referenced by net folders - only they are not, etc, etc.
It is a "large" installation, the intention was to use it widely, but as things worked out we never did that.
So, what I wonder is: how should we move from here? Fix the problems in our existing installation first? Try upgrade to 1.1 and hope errors will disappear and then go on to 1.2 etc? Is it possible to shrink it to a small installation? Would it even be possible to set up a new installation and hook the vastorage disk to it and make all users access whatever they might have saved in "My Files"?

Help apreciated!

/Bengt
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Filr 101 upgrade questions

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 08:46:02 GMT, wtbt
<wtbt@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>Hi!
>
>We run Filr 1.0.1 since quite some time, but our users never came to use
>it much as we went Google some time after we introduced it. However, we
>do need it, mostly for our older users who have been with us well since
>we all used dekstops and logged in, had drive mappings and all, like it
>was in the old days. Some of them have tons of important stuff in
>homedirs and shared dirs that they somehow occasionally need to access
>from the New Way of Doing Things (ie Mac:s and BYOD).
>Problem is, our Filr has issues, some users just cannot log into it,
>LDAP user sync shows same modifications to be done every time we run it,
>nonexistent net folder servers cannot be removed because they are
>referenced by net folders - only they are not, etc, etc.
>It is a "large" installation, the intention was to use it widely, but as
>things worked out we never did that.
>So, what I wonder is: how should we move from here? Fix the problems in
>our existing installation first? Try upgrade to 1.1 and hope errors will
>disappear and then go on to 1.2 etc? Is it possible to shrink it to a
>small installation? Would it even be possible to set up a new
>installation and hook the vastorage disk to it and make all users access
>whatever they might have saved in "My Files"?
>
>Help apreciated!
>
>/Bengt

When I moved from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0, I setup a new appliance (rather than
migrating). Seemed easier at that point because we don't use local
storage. My Files always points only to users home directories. I
migrated appliances for every upgrade since then. But 1.0.1 is fairly
old. It might make sense to setup a new installation rather than
trying to migrate - but I have no clue if the vastorage disk can be
re-attached. Someone else will have to speak to that. Moving to a
small installation would require a new setup, you can't migrate to it
from a large install. I have 59 users on a small installation and it
works fine. Hope that helps.

Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
Idea Exchange sites within this community are now coming online for some of the Collaboration Products!
GroupWise Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/GWideas
SMG Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Secure-Messaging-Gateway-Idea/idb-p/SMG_Ideas
Old method is still available for some products here: https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
wtbt Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I certainly do wish we never used the local storage... But we did and we really have no clue how it is used. A wonderful scenario wold be if we could set up a brand new Filr installation an just attach the vastorage disk (or maybe a copy) to it and then everything was fine. But I guess the relations between local storage files and users ar kept in the database so it will never be that easy.

/Bengt
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:16:02 GMT, wtbt
<wtbt@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
>I certainly do wish we never used the local storage... But we did and we
>really have no clue how it is used. A wonderful scenario wold be if we
>could set up a brand new Filr installation an just attach the vastorage
>disk (or maybe a copy) to it and then everything was fine. But I guess
>the relations between local storage files and users ar kept in the
>database so it will never be that easy.
>
>/Bengt

If no one else chimes in with how the local storage works, it might be
worth it to make a copy of vastorage and just test it out. Sorry I
can't help more than that.
Ken
--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
Idea Exchange sites within this community are now coming online for some of the Collaboration Products!
GroupWise Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/GroupWise-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/GWideas
SMG Idea Exchange - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Secure-Messaging-Gateway-Idea/idb-p/SMG_Ideas
Old method is still available for some products here: https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
snielson1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I believe all the local storage is stored in the /vastorage/filr/filerepository, but they are named with some kind of filename/ date hash format.
Unfortunately its not really possible (or easy at least..) to move from a large deployment to a small deployment. If you do upgrade to 1.1, all the local storage is contained in the disk drive you copy over during the upgrade process... so no files should be lost.

Maybe what you could do, is have all the users download their personal Filr files to safe location, and set up a new 1.2 or even 2.0 Filr environment.
Once you have Filr set up again, the users can re-upload them to their "My Files"

Shane Nielson Kind of alright at doing stuff with the computer thing
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.