Highlighted
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Filr 2.0 users gone after changing outbound email server

Here's a really odd one. I had been running a beta build of Filr 2.0 (build 419) for the longest time because I was simply too lazy to upgrade to the release build. Tonight while troubleshooting an e-mail issue with my ISP, I decided to change the outbound e-mail server in the appliance config to Gmail and authenticate to it with my Gmail account. I then logged into the admin console to view the users so that I could clean up some external users and reshare after making this change. But oddly enough going to users in the admin console, not a single user was displayed! I went to LDAP sync, preview sync, and it showed one user from eDir would be added (someone who I thought should already be in Filr) and it showed two users would be disabled. I then tried logging into the web client as myself (an eDir user) and I could login a-ok, but I didn't see any files. On my laptop which has the Filr client installed I can view a folder that I had previously chosen to sync, but I can't see any other content.

Thinking maybe this was some weird bug with that old build, I upgraded to the release build (421) but there was no change. I've gone through and installed the security updates and hot patches but still no luck. I've also changed the outbound e-mail server config back but still no improvement. I could remove the two LDAP sources (eDir & AD) and all the NF & NF servers, but I really don't want to set all that back up again. Is there anything else short of an SR that can be done?

Joe

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
6 Replies
goessel
New Member.

Re: Filr 2.0 users gone after changing outbound email server

jmarton;2437642 wrote:
Here's a really odd one. I had been running a beta build of Filr 2.0 (build 419) for the longest time because I was simply too lazy to upgrade to the release build. Tonight while troubleshooting an e-mail issue with my ISP, I decided to change the outbound e-mail server in the appliance config to Gmail and authenticate to it with my Gmail account. I then logged into the admin console to view the users so that I could clean up some external users and reshare after making this change. But oddly enough going to users in the admin console, not a single user was displayed! I went to LDAP sync, preview sync, and it showed one user from eDir would be added (someone who I thought should already be in Filr) and it showed two users would be disabled. I then tried logging into the web client as myself (an eDir user) and I could login a-ok, but I didn't see any files. On my laptop which has the Filr client installed I can view a folder that I had previously chosen to sync, but I can't see any other content.

Thinking maybe this was some weird bug with that old build, I upgraded to the release build (421) but there was no change. I've gone through and installed the security updates and hot patches but still no luck. I've also changed the outbound e-mail server config back but still no improvement. I could remove the two LDAP sources (eDir & AD) and all the NF & NF servers, but I really don't want to set all that back up again. Is there anything else short of an SR that can be done?

Joe

Joe,

the same issue here, but under different conditions:
- filr 1.2 upgrade to 2.0 HP465 was without any problems, but after that I have decide to install the new 2.0 license file and got the same situation like you
(only 2 deactivated ldap-users still in list and no NF content anymore)
- very strange, because what kind of relation to the license should be there ..., but with your info in mind I believe that something got broken in the system and that has nothing to do directly with the last config-actions
- I could not repair this situation and had to upgrade again from 1.2 (without to apply the new license-file as trigger to the broken system)

I hope, that could help to find the real reason for no more ldap-users and no more NF content ...

(ldap-sync and NF go to OES11SP2)

Regards,
Joerg
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

goessel;2437658 wrote:
Joe,

the same issue here, but under different conditions:
- filr 1.2 upgrade to 2.0 HP465 was without any problems, but after that I have decide to install the new 2.0 license file and got the same situation like you
(only 2 deactivated ldap-users still in list and no NF content anymore)
- very strange, because what kind of relation to the license should be there ..., but with your info in mind I believe that something got broken in the system and that has nothing to do directly with the last config-actions
- I could not repair this situation and had to upgrade again from 1.2 (without to apply the new license-file as trigger to the broken system)

I hope, that could help to find the real reason for no more ldap-users and no more NF content ...

(ldap-sync and NF go to OES11SP2)

Regards,
Joerg

There is a known issue regarding installing a new license: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7017925

Thomas
0 Likes
goessel
New Member.

thsundel;2437659 wrote:
There is a known issue regarding installing a new license: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7017925

Thomas

Thomas,

thanks for the license information.
TID7017925:
- not sure, if these steps are necessary to update every license or only the trial-license (we had a 1.x license before)
- not sure, if the failed license-update through admin-portal will be the reason for the broken filr-system

Joerg
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This got me thinking. When I upgraded to 2.0, I expected to see license errors since I still had a 1.x license installed. However things seemed to work fine so I left the license alone. I've restarted the appliance plenty of times since then, and it's been well over 60 days (thinking of how long an eval license lasts in case the 1.x license effectively became a 2.x eval license). But I haven't made any appliance configuration changes until last night. I wonder if making a config change when using a 1.x license with a 2.x appliance causes the problem. I tried updating the license this morning through the appliance interface but it didn't update, which I sort of expected, so I followed the steps in the TID that Thomas posted. Now I correctly see a 2.x license but things are still broken. 😞

Joe

0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I should add one more thing. Even though no users are there other than the two disabled ones coming over from AD, when I go to personal storage and file upload limits the user exceptions I had previously defined in there (myself and one other user) are still showing up. In fact when I login as myself to the web client, the quota displayed in the upper right correctly displays my exception setting instead of the default setting for all users. But on the flip side even though I was previously defined as an administrator, I don't have the administration console option in the dropdown when I login nor as the main admin do I see myself listed as an administrator in the administrators section. Very weird.

BTW, my backend OES servers are OES 2015. I wasn't sure how current they were in patching and I saw there's a requirement for them to be somewhat current before applying the most recent security update, so I patched both servers before applying the final Filr patch last night.

Joe

0 Likes
BSCHOOFS1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have seen this a couple times, with Filr 2.0 that, when a change was made via the Appliance Management (port 9443) the users and / or Net Fodler information dissapeared.

However, they are not gone, normally, when performing a full re-index the information returns and is usable again.

although we are unable to duplicate this in our labs, we presume currently this has to do with either corruption in the index or with the fact that at one point in time (if not the initial index build-up) a (re-)index never fully finished.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.