Highlighted
boblmartens Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Filr 4 desktop client prompts for login

I recently updated from Filr 3.4.3 to Filr 4 and I have reports of the Filr Desktop Client continually asking for people to login. I have heard of issues from my Windows 10 users and have seen it on my macOS client as well. Is there something I need to look at fixing?

Whenever it happens, I can still log into the website and get at my files there.

Thanks!

28 Replies
davemrm Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Filr 4 desktop client prompts for login

I've been seeing this too, the client login prompt will keep popping up and when I login it will insist my password is wrong.  Sometimes after a few tries it will login ok, other times I can't get it to work.  Once I get to where login never works, I find the Filr web interface is unresponsive as well.  Rebooting the Filr appliance fixes it for a week or so, but eventually it comes back.

For me this has only been since updating to Filr 4.0.1; no problem with Filr 4.0.

lantonioli1
Visitor.

I'm getting the same problem at 2 different sites. Problem has started since the 4.0.1 update was installed. Can be resolved by restarting the filr service but it reappears, usually within 24 Hrs. Getting lots of complaints from users.

Super Contributor.

the problem seems to be growing worse.  login prompt comes up randomly for a day or two, then fails solid, can't login at all.  no ldap user can login via Filr client nor web interface.  local admin user can login fine.  rebooting fixes it for awhile, sometimes for a week, sometimes just a day or two.

obviously someone needs to open an SR with tech support to get this looked at, but I just don't have time right now.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

I'm going to bump my JVM Heap size a bit, see if that does anything.  It was set below the recommended 66% of RAM size, so it seems like a reasonable thing to do.  Will report on any change in behavior.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Not sure if it will solve this specific problem, but I have found that it is fairly important to have it set between 2/3 and 3/4 of your memory.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

I've gone ahead and bumped the heap sizes up to 3/4 of the available memory on the VM. I will let that sit for a few days and see where it sits after that.

Thanks everyone!

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

increasing the JVM Heap size hasn't helped a bit, I've had to restart filr services at least twice since then...

anyone have a chance to open an SR and talk to support?  I keep being too busy to spend any time on it, maybe later this week

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I haven't applied 4.0.1 yet.  Please let us know what you find out if you open an SR.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
lantonioli1
Visitor.

We've opened an SR on this and were asked to increase RAM and JVM heap size on the appliance (small FILR implementation). Memory went from 16GB to 24GB, JVM went from 12GB to 18GB. This has reduced the frequency of the issue occurring but it's still happening. Will post any progress.

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Makes me wonder if there is some kind of issue with the small appliance.  I ran a small appliance for years without any problems, but didn't have a lot of usage.  When we started deploying the Filr Windows client with Filr 3, the problems began.  I opened a support case and was told to increase RAM and JVM heap size.  I got the same result as you...reduced frequency of problem, but still a problem.  When I moved to Filr 4, I setup a large appliance and haven't had an issue since.  Makes me think that either the small appliance needs boatloads of RAM or there is some bug causing it to chew through the RAM.  I liked the idea of the small appliance, but the large has fixed things for us.  Please keep us posted with your results.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

this issue is strictly new with 4.01; no issues for several months on 4.0, no issue for years on 3.x using the small deployment and the same memory size.

0 Likes
johnsonx
New Member.

I opened an SR and got the probable fix; there's a KB article for it now:

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7024051

johnsonx
New Member.

btw, I'm the same guy as davemrm above, my home pc logs in with a different novell id

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Thank you! I just applied it and will see what comes now.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.