ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Filr Access for Users Following a Reboot of the VM Slow

I've just set up the Filr site and we are using the appliance - we only small total staff of 250 but my guess will be only 50 to 100 will use it heavily. I have set it up on one of our XEN hypervisors and seems ok.

We're running through the documentation fine. However my biggest issue at the moment is if I reboot the vm the filr site, the https:xx.xx.xx.xx:8443 takes very long time to come back up, I haven't actually timed it but my guess would be close to 15 minutes maybe more.

After the reboot, the admin portal (9443) can be accessed almost right away, but the actual filr site just times out constantly until that 15 minute (or more) lapse.

Now I set up a quick proof on concept a few months back and it wasn't like that at all. From what we can tell, the only difference in configuration is the addition of a partition from our san to the vm config for storage which I didn't do in the test vm.

Any ideas why there is such a lag? or anything I could look at to help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi there,

bgarmstrong;2309753 wrote:
I've just set up the Filr site and we are using the appliance - we only small total staff of 250 but my guess will be only 50 to 100 will use it heavily. I have set it up on one of our XEN hypervisors and seems ok.

Just to get some more idea of your Filr setup, some questions;

-I assume you are running on the Filr 1.01 Xen image of the appliance? (so the appliance itself is running with the xen kernel)
-This is probably a small deployment (1 Filr appliance in total), right?
-Which Xen version are you using (vendor, version and service pack level)?

We're running through the documentation fine. However my biggest issue at the moment is if I reboot the vm the filr site, the https:xx.xx.xx.xx:8443 takes very long time to come back up, I haven't actually timed it but my guess would be close to 15 minutes maybe more.

After the reboot, the admin portal (9443) can be accessed almost right away, but the actual filr site just times out constantly until that 15 minute (or more) lapse.

It can take a little time to initialize... but that should be closer to 5 minutes and not 15. Have you checked how high the load is on the appliance during the first, say, 20 minutes after booting?

I'm also curious to how much memory you have assigned to the appliance, and how many vCPU's? And have you done any specific tuning, like adjusting the Java heap size?

Now I set up a quick proof on concept a few months back and it wasn't like that at all. From what we can tell, the only difference in configuration is the addition of a partition from our san to the vm config for storage which I didn't do in the test vm.

Any ideas why there is such a lag? or anything I could look at to help me troubleshoot this?

One thing that could kill performance (especially while booting up and initializing) is slow disk access. Have you checked to see if the disk performance in the appliance is that is should be, some quick tests by doing copy tests from and to the second disk might give some indication if you need to look into that further.

Also checking the Filr log file (catalina.out being the most useful to see how the tomcat services are starting up) might reveal some issues that need fixing.

Also check that name resolving is not causing issues for services.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.