Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Filr DesktopApp 3.4.2 (929) error

On 15.11.2018 08:14, creddyagnal wrote:
>
> Application and therefore it is recommended that admin/local windows
> user irrespective of having administrator privileges must execute the
> Filr client setup EXE with "Run As Administrator" rights for successful
> installation of the Filr client.

When this is necessary, the Setup.exe and/or the MSI is broken. The
whole existence of microsoft installer is to explicitly *NOT* need the
install to be executed with elevated rights, but instead, *if* the
install needs administrative rights to install or replace compnents, to
ask for those elevated rights during the install, either by requesting
administrator credentials (when the user executing the install had no
admin richts), or by asking for admin permission by a simple checkbox
(when the user already had administrative rights, but need not expicitly
call the setup using "as administrator".

At any rate, a MSI based install that silently fails when it's not run
explicitly with elevated rights is broken. In virtually all cases this
happens, it's because the MSI calls some external code (exe, bat!,
whatever) that has no concept of rights, and runs outside of the control
of microsoft installer.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
ppatarcsity Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The
Uninstall Filr version 3.4.2 (929) -> reboot pc -> install Filr version 3.4 (828) -> reboot pc (also downgrade of the desktopapp)
procedure is worked for me both Windows 10 and Windows 7 Pc's also.

Sometimes after the reinstall and relogin user just changed in the Filr console Storage folder to "%USERPROFILE%\Filr (1)" or "%USERPROFILE%\Filr (2)" .
If that happened, I made these steps:
1. right click on the Filr Desktop icon in the taskbar.
2. logout
3. right click again -> Open filr-console
4. under the storage i've changed back to the original storage place ("%USERPROFILE%\Filr")
5. Then comes a warning, but I simple ignored that.
6. After these steps I logged out from the windows , then logged in with the user.

The folders and files also comes back.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Channa,

"In-house testing indicates that client upgrade from 3.4 to 3.4.2 using the "Install Update" button under System Alerts of Filr console is successful and user is able to access Filr folders."
One times with one user happened the same (external user, the update installed from the alert bubble), but the happyness goes away after 2 days.
Everything worked fine till 2 days, but after this user is also loosed the access to thier files/folders.
The user was folders, but if he want to open anything from those folders the explorer made a crash, so the files and folders goes inaccessible.

Intersting thing, that the syncronization worked under while the folders/files are not available. (In the bubble message sad: 2 files updated to the latest version).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Hi,

Few new things again with this problem:
After Filr Desktop downgrade some collegue has new effect some days ago, when they want to open their jpg files:
"The windows photo viewer can not open the image because you do not have the right permission to access the file location."
(The files was uploaded from Filr android client, and those JPG's are available and can be opened in the Filr web console).

After those files copied from the Desktop client to the local workstation hard drive, they can be opened by the Photo Viewer.

This is true from the 3.4.0.828 and 3.4.2.929 Desktop client versions also.

On my pc i've made an uninstall the client, then a full cleanup (registry, and AppData\Local\Filr Storage\, AppData\Local\Filr Storage (1)\, AppData\Local\Filr Storage (1) (1)\, AppData\Local\Filr Storage (1) (1) (1)\ and AppData\Local\Novell\Filr\ folders) and afther a fresh reinstall of the 3.4.2.929 and come the same problem with the pictures.

After the "fresh install" in the filr_dialog log.file contains many:
[6] ERROR FilrClientLib.FilrOperationsHandler - FilrOperationsHandler::GetItemInfo(.[Velem megosztott\.svn].) failed.
[6] ERROR FilrClientLib.FileFolderMetaDataHandler - FileFolderMetaDataHandler::GetDirectoryList([Velem megosztott\.svn]-[0])
[6] ERROR FilrClientLib.FileFolderMetaDataHandler - FileFolderMetaDataHandler::UpdateMetaDataFromServer([Velem megosztott\.svn\wc.db]) failed.

and some error in filr.log file:
[fs-refresh-thread] [WARNING] Failed to update Windows Explorer (aca.windows)
[fs-refresh-thread] [ERROR] Exception: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'> (aca.excepts)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "aca\windows.pyo", line 675, in RefreshPathInShell
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe1 in position 33: ordinal not in range(128)

The Desktop client language is Hungarian.

I will open an SR today.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.