mcando
New Member.

Large Installation question

Hi, we have 3 Esx servers, each with it's own disks, no possibility of a shared storage between them.
I'm planning to install Filr using the large installation option so I thought to distribute the Filr server, mysql and lucene servers on each Esx.
I have created on the Filr server an additional drive with 100gb for the My Files option.
I'm reading the docs, but I can figure out, when installing the lucene and mysql servers, if I need to create another disk storage or to point to the original 100gb storage that I created with the Filr server setup. Does each of the 3 appliances need the same secondary hard disk?
I hope it's clear enough
Thanks
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Large Installation question

mcando;2263373 wrote:
Hi, we have 3 Esx servers, each with it's own disks, no possibility of a shared storage between them.
I'm planning to install Filr using the large installation option so I thought to distribute the Filr server, mysql and lucene servers on each Esx.
I have created on the Filr server an additional drive with 100gb for the My Files option.
I'm reading the docs, but I can figure out, when installing the lucene and mysql servers, if I need to create another disk storage or to point to the original 100gb storage that I created with the Filr server setup. Does each of the 3 appliances need the same secondary hard disk?
I hope it's clear enough
Thanks

Each appliance will need it's own disk.
The second disk is used to place unique configuration and data to make updates to the appliances as painless as possible. When a new version of the appliance gets released (version 1.1 for example), just power down the old version appliance - deploy the new one and add the second disk to it. When the new appliance powers up, it will see the existing configuration and know it needs to update and not overwrite the configuration.

As added comment: It can be worthwhile, if you have decent hardware for the esx servers with enough resources to handle it, to place the appliances on the same esx server. Communication between appliances should be at the most optimal level as it passes directly through the virtual port groups and does not have to pass over your network switches.

Cheers,
Willem
mcando
New Member.

Re: Large Installation question

Thanks Willem!!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.