shawn_lobo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Making clients work as one: Novell Client and NFilr Client

Good Day,

Is there a way to allow Novell Filr to pull the session from the Novell Client is some form of manual integration possible. The zenworks client fits very nicely this way in which if the user has already authenticated via the Novell Client it would not request another login to the tree and just pull this auth session to authenticate the user.

We are trying to make the "clients" work as one. Is this currently possible on the filr? If not, any ideas on whether this could be something to expect soon?
0 Likes
2 Replies
sveld1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Making clients work as one: Novell Client and NFilr Clie

Hi, I feel this would be a good thing to have. Not sure its high on the priority list at the moment, since the current scope of the Filr Desktop client is syncing files and that is mostly done while not being logged in to the network with either a Novell Client or being authenticated on a Windows Domain.

Case Novell would decide to soon implement the feature 'NetFolder file access without syncing' as discussed in the thread https://forums.novell.com/novell-product-discussions/file-networking-services/filr/467106-netfolder-via-novell-filr-desktop-w-o-synch.html then it would make sense to also implement desktop authentication as part of that.

You could take a look at SecureLogin at www.novell.com/securelogin which can take care of the authentication part for now.

Best regards, Sebastiaan Veld If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
shawn_lobo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Making clIenTs work as one: Novell Client and NFilr Clie

Yes the sync'n files would be issue as we have users who share folders with close to 200GB of data between depts. This could be problematic. Would need to wait for that too.

We were hoping the access could be seamless for those users with Novell clients without the need for another client (again..) solution to bridge the gap much like how Zenworks does it which automatically picks up on whether you are configured to the windows domain or Novell.

Side Note:
We have data stored across slightly different jurdictions with different LDAPs to different storage so another problem that I see that would soon follow is how do I get multiple storage available to them via NFilr Clients. We tried to work around this by importing the users from both trees with non-clashing attribute value selection for the NFilr web console logins access to multiple storage because of https://forums.novell.com/novell-product-discussions/file-networking-services/filr/466683-novell-filr-multiple-ldap-conns-multiple-storage-loc.html (havent got approval from the license guys on whether that will work yet) but, right now the clients have limitations coz the possible work arounds on the client is not very simple for users to work with which is kind of acting as a road block 😞 ... It would be nice to see the NFilr Client prompt for auth based on the folder i click on if I not already authenticated to that particular LDAP already... next update fingers crossed.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.