markcasey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MyDocuments and Desktop Folder Redirection

Hi All

One of the great things I have done with filr was to redirect the My Documents and Desktop folders into My Files\Documents and My Files\Desktop.
This worked perfectly with version2.
With version 3.0 the desktop icons were missing on startup, if I waited 30 seconds an pressed f5 (refresh) they came back
I have just updated to the 3.3 client and it has gone further.

I get a message that the My Files\Desktop folder is not available, if I clear the message and wait then press f5 it comes back, but as a result
I have lost me task bar icons as well.

The task bar icons are still in the correct location and if I reset the Desktop Redirect and reboot they come back, so it seems to be something to do with the desktop folder not being available.

I am assumig that filr is delaying the availability of the folders for some reasion, which it wasn't doing in the older versions.
Does anyone know why there is now a delay in avaialbility or if it can be fixed.

Thanks in advance

Mark
0 Likes
2 Replies
ksiddiqui Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: MyDocuments and Desktop Folder Redirection

The 3.3 client has a 'delayed start' for Filr Caching Services on Windows 10 systems - this is done to work around a Windows bug which can cause the service to not start if set to 'automatic'. You can try to set the service to 'Automatic' and see if it works for you.
On Windows 7 and 8, the caching service startup is set to Automatic because the Windows bug does not apply there.

We have a bug to track the Windows 10 issue and when the Windows bug is addressed, Filr caching service will be changed to 'automatic' by default as well.

Hope this helps explain why this is so.
0 Likes
markcasey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: MyDocuments and Desktop Folder Redirection

ksiddiqui;2473380 wrote:
The 3.3 client has a 'delayed start' for Filr Caching Services on Windows 10 systems - this is done to work around a Windows bug which can cause the service to not start if set to 'automatic'. You can try to set the service to 'Automatic' and see if it works for you.
On Windows 7 and 8, the caching service startup is set to Automatic because the Windows bug does not apply there.

We have a bug to track the Windows 10 issue and when the Windows bug is addressed, Filr caching service will be changed to 'automatic' by default as well.

Hope this helps explain why this is so.

Hi
I thought I put a reply to this, but it seems to have got lost.
I understand what you are saying, but my desktop is Windows 7, not windows 10
From what you are saying, it is only implemented on windows 10, not windows 7 and I cant see the delayed start on the filr service

Thoughts

mark
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.