Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MySQL Appliance - LARGE Filr upgrade to 3.1

https://www.novell.com/documentation/filr-3/filr-bp-plan-deploy/data/bppd-plan-overview.html

"MySQL appliance available but not intended for enterprise use."
-------

We were going through a 3.1 test upgrade, wanted to migrate an existing MySQL server to a new appliance, hit a few snags, then saw the above statement in documentation.

Anyone know why this is the case, anyone have success with MySQL appliance in enterprise,
or should we avoid it altogether?

Thanks!
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The main reason for this statement is that, with a "native" MySQL (or MariaDB) environment, you have the possibility to run it on bare metal and in a fault-tolerant setup -iow Enterprise worthy- setup, whereas with the appliances this is near to not possible.

I've moved my Filr database from a MySQL appliance to a bare metal MariaDB server using the MySQL workbench.
The same procedure should be usable for a MySQL to MySQL migration.

However, if you have ~1000 users or more or ~1TB worh of data or more, I'd indeed opt for a native SQL database environment.

FYI, the only migration that has some post database migration steps on the database itself is a MySQL > MS SQL migration.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.