Imogen Absent Member.
Absent Member.
679 views

Net folders have no contents

I'm trying to set up some net folders on our new Filr installation. When I try to view them (as admin) they appear to be empty, prompting me to create subfolders etc, when of course they are not.

The Filr proxy user has full permissions, both share and NTFS, to everything it should require. Users and security groups are imported from AD and all seem to have been populated correctly. The folders are not indexing (I don't want them to, we already have a search server) but they do appear to sync without any obvious error.

I also have a problem with no users other than the admin one being able to view any of the folders, despite the fact that the security groups are listed as having access privileges and appear to contain the correct users, but that will only become relevant once my first problem has been solved. There's not much to view at the moment!

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
0 Likes
4 Replies
sveld1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Net folders have no contents

If syncing the file metadata (leveraging your proxy user) into the file database was successful, the Filr admin should see files/folder in teh NetFolders you created. This makes me think there's either a folder on your share you proxy user has no access to, or there may be a file/folder on the filesystem containing a % in the name (like %20). Both cases could stop the sync process and result in you not seeing your files and folder structure.

I assume running the (account) access test on both the NetFolder Server and the Netfolder show success?

FYI: if you have files with % in the name, please open an SR and ask for the fix which is available.

Best regards, Sebastiaan Veld If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the star below...
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Net folders have no contents

Imogen wrote:

> I'm trying to set up some net folders on our new Filr installation.
> When I try to view them (as admin) they appear to be empty, prompting
> me to create subfolders etc, when of course they are not.
>
> The Filr proxy user has full permissions, both share and NTFS, to
> everything it should require.


If Just In Time Sync (JITS) is enabled, which is the default, yet admin
can't see anything then it sounds to me like an issue with the proxy
server. I know you say the proxy user has full permissions but it
really sounds like it's still missing something. What if you
temporarily change the proxy user to the domain administrator account?
If that works, then it shows there's a problem with the rights that the
proxy user you're trying to use.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
Imogen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Net folders have no contents

Thanks for your replies. I tried the domain administrator on the same folders with no success. The proxy login does not authenticate successfully when I test the connection but then neither does the domain administrator so I don't think that is accurate!

However, as a test, I tried following the same procedure on a couple of our other storage devices and got it working first time. I think my set up is fine but we are having problems with our ageing storage device, which is unfortunately the only place that we would usefully be able to use Net Folders. So it looks like the problem is at our end and there probably isn't anything you can do to help me. Thank you for trying to help, though.

What would be very useful would be if the system would notify you when a sync fails (even perhaps telling you why). It seems to me that the rotating load icon just keeps spinning and it keeps saying 'Syncing' even if you leave the page open for hours when it's trying to sync a small folder. Obviously in that case it hasn't been successful but to the user it appears that the sync is still ongoing.
0 Likes
Highlighted
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Net folders have no contents

Imogen wrote:

> Thanks for your replies. I tried the domain administrator on the same
> folders with no success. The proxy login does not authenticate
> successfully when I test the connection but then neither does the
> domain administrator so I don't think that is accurate!
>
> However, as a test, I tried following the same procedure on a couple
> of our other storage devices and got it working first time. I think
> my set up is fine but we are having problems with our ageing storage
> device, which is unfortunately the only place that we would usefully
> be able to use Net Folders. So it looks like the problem is at our
> end and there probably isn't anything you can do to help me. Thank
> you for trying to help, though.


Ah, that makes more sense. There's definitely something going on with
the storage device. Is it a member of the same AD domain used as the
LDAP source for Filr?

> What would be very useful would be if the system would notify you
> when a sync fails (even perhaps telling you why). It seems to me that
> the rotating load icon just keeps spinning and it keeps saying
> 'Syncing' even if you leave the page open for hours when it's trying
> to sync a small folder. Obviously in that case it hasn't been
> successful but to the user it appears that the sync is still ongoing.


We could definitely improve that, and in fact there are some UI
improvements we're working on for the 1.1 release. However, one thing
that's in the current release is the "test connection" button. If
that's failing--and it sounds like it is--that should be a signal that
something's wrong and to not even proceed with performing a sync. If
the test connection button fails for the proxy user in the Net Folder
Server then that needs to be fixed before proceeding on with the rest
of the NF configuration.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.