ubikioinfo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problems Filr 2.0 Build 421

Just for your info, I have to reverted to back 1.2 version. Everything got smoothly after upgrade process until I log in with normal user, I couldn't open files from HomeDir saying that they are empty... ? I got several other errors.. ?
0 Likes
10 Replies
snielson1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Problems Filr 2.0 Build 421

Could you be more specific on the errors while trying to open files from the HomeDir?

Were the post upgrade steps ran, and a full sync on the net folder server?

Shane Nielson Kind of alright at doing stuff with the computer thing
0 Likes
ubikioinfo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Could you be more specific on the errors while trying to open files from the HomeDir? - > Files were empty, html preview didn't worked..

Were the post upgrade steps ran, and a full sync on the net folder server?
-> I didn't run any sync's because it's not mentioned in https://www.novell.com/documentation/novell-filr-2/filr-2-inst/data/upgrade.html I follow the instructions. I am running a small deployment.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ubikioinfo wrote:

> -> I didn't run any sync's because it's not mentioned in
> https://www.novell.com/documentation/novell-filr-2/filr-2-inst/data/upgrade.html
> I follow the instructions. I am running a small deployment.

After the upgrade from 1.2 to 2.0 I had to resync all folders. The
documentation states this is necessary only for upgrades from 1.1.
However, for me rebuilding the index made the installation work again.

Günther

0 Likes
ksiddiqui Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If everything was working perfectly fine as far as visibility and access of files prior to the upgrade, then it should continue post upgrade as well. A search re-index is only required for 1.1 to 2.0 upgrades because there were schema changes that need to be fed to the search index. Between 1.2 to 2.0, there were no such changes to the best of my knowledge.

That said, a re-sync of a net folder cannot hurt post upgrade. If errors are revealed, please contact support and provide appserver.log, famtd.log.
0 Likes
eric2001 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We upgraded to 2.0 from 1.2 as well. We ran into the same thing. No files were there once all was finished. A couple of things we noticed. At the tail end of the upgrade process, it mentions that it will take about 10 minutes per 1GB of files stored on the Filr server for the upgrade to complete. We have about 21G, so I figured a few hours of this. 10 minutes later it was done. Hey HEy! right?

Anyway users logged on and no files. Phone app, upgraded to 2.0, desktop clients upgraded to 2.0, nothing. This was the latest build btw.

I decided to re-index everything from my appliance configuration. while this was going on, my own desktop application suddently started deleting files. And I mean to say quickly. I logged out of the client immediately. The messages said they were deleting the files "because it was removed on the server"

I have my 1.2 server, so I'm not too concerned that I can't get the old files back again. I don't know if it needs to delete them as part of the reindex process then put them back. WTF?

While the reindex was finishing, I copied my local copy of files (about 3.4G, down from over 5G) to another location just to minimize any possibly pain.

After the re-index, I logged into the web interface and spot checked files that my new 2.0 client had deleted off of my workstation, they were there. Not knowing if simply turning the client back on would re-populate my desktop files or turn around, notice they aren't there and this time think they should be deleted from the server, I removed the client and reinstalled fresh. I had to resync everything back onto my laptop.

I would not call this smooth. As another user stated, it's a canned piece of software w/ very little ability to configure under the covers. The documents don't mention to wait before users login or to re-index everything before the users login. Luckily I got my files back, but this could have been a real mess.
0 Likes
eric2001 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I wanted to add that because I was unsure what was going on with the files on my desktop showing they were being deleted, yet after the re-index everything, they appeared to be in the web client, I uninstalled and reinstalled the filr 2.0 client. I can't say what was going on w/ the raging delete screen from the previous client, but this time, it rebuild my entire MY Files folder and put everything back fresh and new. My advice is to not let any users into Filr after an upgrade until you spot check and ONLY after a re-index.
0 Likes
eric2001 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Maybe I spoke too soon again. Since I spent about 2 hours fixing my Filr stuff AFTER the upgrade to 2.0, today the folks came into work and are hopping mad. Here are a few complaints ..

It used to sync an Access database just fine, now it doesn't.
It used to sync Pasword1 files just fine, now it doesn't.
With the previous version it used to show a file wasn't synced correctly and you could actually see the file and move it out and back in to fix it. Now it shows a folder not synced correctly, but no file within that folder shows as un-synced.

It used to have a place in the console to select folders and files to sync, and that's gone. I have no idea how to select new folders to sync, now, from the windows client.

I've offered the company to revert back to 1.2, but they feel too many changes have happened to revert back.

This is not pretty. My advice guys is do NOT upgrade to Filr 2.0 until you get the "all is clear" signal.
0 Likes
sveld1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

" It used to have a place in the console to select folders and files to sync, and that's gone. I have no idea how to select new folders to sync, now, from the windows client."

That's not needed anymore as the the Filr 2.0 client now supports "Files on demand"
https://www.novell.com/documentation/novell-filr-2/filr-2-overvw/data/b1ji0pex.html#b1jgbo5z

This means all files and folders are visible, but downloaded only at the time you need them. They are cashed then for 30 days (default).
To have certain files and folders always available, you can now can right click a file or folder and select "Make available offline" from the explorer action menu. That will sync down the file or folder for offline access and keep those cached even after 30 days.

Best regards, Sebastiaan Veld If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
sveld1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

"It used to sync an Access database just fine, now it doesn't.
It used to sync Pasword1 files just fine, now it doesn't.
With the previous version it used to show a file wasn't synced correctly and you could actually see the file and move it out and back in to fix it. Now it shows a folder not synced correctly, but no file within that folder shows as un-synced."

Before upgrading, were those desktop clients on version 1.2? If you browse My Files or other Netfolders your explorer should show litte tags on the files and folders for cached files like green icon with check sign or red sign for a file conflict.
If you right click on a file or folder does the menu that pops up show the Filr options at all? If not reinstall the Desktop Client, a repair should work I guess If the previous agent was upgraded from 1.2. If the agent was older (like 1.1) then I think it would be best to uninstall the desktop agent first, then install the 2.0 desktop agent again.

Best regards, Sebastiaan Veld If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
clausw1
New Member.

Today I upgraded our Filr 1.2 large installation (1xmysql,2xSearch,2x Filr) to 2.0 without problems, files were immediately visible after login, no reindex necessary.
claus
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.