vtodorovelatec Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrading Large installation

I find the instructional video very complicated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rathr3Nk12s

prepared everything to upgrade today and started. Am stuck on the very first step (backing up the sql databse).

All VMs shutdown, now I have to create an additional disk for the backup db. It says create a new disc and choose SCSI 2:0 as configuration. I already have three discs on every VM - 1st disk App, 2nd disk data, 3rd disk Logs (as per the instruction in the installation guide)

then after backup is complete, are the following steps correct:
1) deploy the ovf templates for the new Filr 1.1 VMs
2) create a second hard disk 2 which should be an existing copy of Hard disk 2 from each of the old Filr VMs
3) create new empty hard disk 3 for logs on each Filr VM
4) on the new SQL VM attach the backup database disk as SCSI 3:0
5) start SQL VM and upgrade
6) start the search VM and upgrade
7) start the Filr VM and upgrade
0 Likes
7 Replies
jetterer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Upgrading Large installation

Attach the backup-disk as SCSI 2:0 to the SQL(101) then it should work to make the backup.

After deploying the SQL11 copy and attach the VASTORAGE (old data-disc) to the new Appliance as 1:0
A new disc VAR-disc (for the logs) as 2:0
and last the copy and attach the backup-disc as 3:0

IMPORTANT! I made the mistake NOT to create the filr-database user at the SQL before starting the filr-appliance. Remember to this, otherwise you will get an error the the database cannot be connected!!!!!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

jetterer;2336225 wrote:
Attach the backup-disk as SCSI 2:0 to the SQL(101) then it should work to make the backup.

I cannot do this. "This bus node is already occupied by another device" In the 1.0.1 I already have three discs.
0 Likes
jetterer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

what is the 3rd disc for?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

sorry I was not clear enough.
I am upgrading from Filr 1.1 Beta.

The third disc is for logs (Create a separate VMware hard disk (Hard Disk 3) for the appliance. This hard disk is used to
store the /var directory for the appliance. (The /var directory is where system events for the Novell appliances are logged.))
0 Likes
jetterer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As far as I know, the backup-disc is not needed any longer if the upgrade-process is done.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Do you mean that I do not need to make a backup of the SQL 1.1 Beta. Intstead go directly and attach a copy of the old Harddisk 2 (SCSI 1:0) to the new SQL 1.1 VM, then create the Harddisk 3 (SCSI 2:0) and power on the new SQL VM ?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Confirmed.
Directly attached a copy of the old Harddisk 2 (SCSI 1:0) to the new SQL 1.1 VM.

Upgrade without any errors
Filr Appliance 1.1.0.653
SQL 1.1.0.379
Search Appliance 1.1.0.817
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.