pkoochin Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1331 views

Uploading from iOS devices

I'm running into some problems uploading files from iOS devices and was wondering if anyone else has seen this. According to the docs I should be able to click the 'Open In' icon while viewing the file in an app and there should be a Filr icon. This icon is not showing up on my iOS devices. My android devices work perfectly fine however. I'm able to upload photos from iOS from within the Filr app but that's it.

Any suggestions?
0 Likes
4 Replies
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Uploading from iOS devices

pkoochin wrote:

>
> I'm running into some problems uploading files from iOS devices and
> was wondering if anyone else has seen this. According to the docs I
> should be able to click the 'Open In' icon while viewing the file in
> an app and there should be a Filr icon. This icon is not showing up
> on my iOS devices. My android devices work perfectly fine however.
> I'm able to upload photos from iOS from within the Filr app but
> that's it.


In the Filr admin console, if you go to the mobile applications is
"interact with other applications" checked? I'm assuming it probably
is if it's working on Android but just want to make sure.

Assuming that's ok, what's an example of an application on iOS that's
not displaying Novell Filr in the Open In menu? Have you tried
multiple apps? I know Documents To Go displays it, and I'm pretty sure
Adobe Reader does. Those are a couple you can try to make sure it's
working for you. It's possible the specific apps you're using may not
be adhering to the Apple standard for open in. For example, I'm pretty
sure QuickOffice doesn't and as a result Filr doesn't work with it.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
pkoochin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Uploading from iOS devices

jmarton;2262366 wrote:
pkoochin wrote:

>
> I'm running into some problems uploading files from iOS devices and
> was wondering if anyone else has seen this. According to the docs I
> should be able to click the 'Open In' icon while viewing the file in
> an app and there should be a Filr icon. This icon is not showing up
> on my iOS devices. My android devices work perfectly fine however.
> I'm able to upload photos from iOS from within the Filr app but
> that's it.


Assuming that's ok, what's an example of an application on iOS that's
not displaying Novell Filr in the Open In menu? Have you tried
multiple apps? I know Documents To Go displays it, and I'm pretty sure
Adobe Reader does. Those are a couple you can try to make sure it's
working for you. It's possible the specific apps you're using may not
be adhering to the Apple standard for open in. For example, I'm pretty
sure QuickOffice doesn't and as a result Filr doesn't work with it.

--
Your world is on the move. Novell. Because Your World is on the Move.
We know what your world looks like. Novell. Because we know what your world looks like.


Well, it looks like it is the case of the specific apps. I was testing with the built in Notes app as well as Noteshelf and neither of them can upload to Filr. However with Adobe Reader and Pages I'm able to upload.

That brings me to another question/issue. On my Android tablets when I download a file and open in an external app to make changes when I close the app Filr sees that the local file has changed and asks me to upload the new version. However, on my iPad I download a file, open in Pages but when I close Pages Filr doesn't see that the file changed and it doesn't ask me to upload the new version. Is this a result of the Pages app or how Filr works on iOS?
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Uploading from iOS devices

pkoochin wrote:

> That brings me to another question/issue. On my Android tablets when I
> download a file and open in an external app to make changes when I
> close the app Filr sees that the local file has changed and asks me
> to upload the new version. However, on my iPad I download a file,
> open in Pages but when I close Pages Filr doesn't see that the file
> changed and it doesn't ask me to upload the new version. Is this a
> result of the Pages app or how Filr works on iOS?


My experience has been this is how it works on iOS. For example, when
I open a document in DocumentsToGo and make a change, I specifically
then do an Open In and select Filr to send it back to Filr. As long as
I use the same name when I save it in DocsToGo then Filr will pick that
up and prompt me to overwrite the file.

--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
pkoochin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Uploading from iOS devices

jmarton;2262416 wrote:
pkoochin wrote:

> That brings me to another question/issue. On my Android tablets when I
> download a file and open in an external app to make changes when I
> close the app Filr sees that the local file has changed and asks me
> to upload the new version. However, on my iPad I download a file,
> open in Pages but when I close Pages Filr doesn't see that the file
> changed and it doesn't ask me to upload the new version. Is this a
> result of the Pages app or how Filr works on iOS?


My experience has been this is how it works on iOS. For example, when
I open a document in DocumentsToGo and make a change, I specifically
then do an Open In and select Filr to send it back to Filr. As long as
I use the same name when I save it in DocsToGo then Filr will pick that
up and prompt me to overwrite the file.

--
Your world is on the move. Novell. Because Your World is on the Move.
We know what your world looks like. Novell. Because we know what your world looks like.


Thanks Joe, that's what I expected. I just wanted to make sure before I started doing demos for management here.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.