Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: What's bloke to do?

worshamn;2261306 wrote:
... mentioned tinkering with the appliance to get it to work I assume he means making it para-virtualized, haven't figured out how to do that successfully yet.

As stated in the thread by others, it's not supported. Getting it running under Xen is not that hard. I don't have the exact steps I ran, but in a nutshell:

After converting the vmdk to a raw file (which is as simple as "#qemu-img convert Filr.x86_64-0.0.459-disk1.vmdk -O raw Filr.x86_64-0.0.459-disk1.raw"), create a new VM using virt-manager, point to the existing disk and also add a second disk for the configuration/data portion of Filr.
Supply it with 2 vCPU's and at least 5 GB of RAM.
Make sure it will run as fully virtualised vm and power it up.

Configure the appliance(es) as needed.

when that's up and running, log into the console of the appliance and run "suse_register -a email=[your ncc email@domain.com] -a regcode-sles=[your SLES update code]
That will give you the SLES update repositories. Don't use these to update the appliance, just to install what's needed (keeping the appliance as close to the original as possible).

Then use "yast sw_single" to add the kernel-xen package (or run "zypper ref" "zypper in kernel-xen").

Last bit is changing the fstab, mtab and /boot/grub/menu.1st (best to add a boot entry so you can revert) to point to the correct Xen disk device naming /dev/xvdaX & /dev/xvdbX.. , power down the VM and change the needed parameters so it can be restarted as para-virtual guest.

Next time I'll build one of these on Xen (probably in two weeks) I'll note my exact steps and post them back here.

As a note, getting the Filr appliance(s) running under KVM is probably most simple of all the hypervisors. You only have to convirt the disk (for which I prefer using the qcow2 format, make the definition for the VM and off you go.)

Hope that helps,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2264038 wrote:
Next time I'll build one of these on Xen (probably in two weeks) I'll note my exact steps and post them back here.

As promissed, see : https://forums.novell.com/novell-product-discussions/file-networking-services/filr/467040-running-filr-appliance-sles-xen-kvm-post2265271.html#post2265271

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well I have Filr running quite successfully as a Para virtualised server under XEN as part of our core infrastructure. It can be done and it does work. It's a little slow due to the type of storage we are using, but that is only temporary. Above this post someone has posted some instructions. I've made my own notes and expect in the next couple of weeks to go through the whole process again, at which time, I'll refine and publish my notes here as well. (I'm sure my process was a lot less complicated).
Regards
Eric.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.