Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Admin rights for running webinspect

Do I need to have admin rights on the system used for running webinspect? If yes,What is the significance of having it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nizam:

To properly answer your question we have to understand the system and policy your organization has around the installation of applications.  The application installation could require an Administrative account to install the product, but operation may be just your routine account.  Additionally are you placing this as a remote client or local?

Assuming local to maybe your workstation, that it would operate the same as any other application within your environment, but if it is remote you might have special configurations you need to consider.

But if you are running as a Sensor that is a different matter.  Cause in that cause you would want to establish Sensor Authentication for someone to log into the device.

Run-As-Sensor.jpg

Additionally with this type of installation then a Service Account might be required to allow the application to operate as well on the device.

Let me know if this helps, if not reach out and I will get you more information.

Regards,

Joel E. Natt CISSP, CRISC
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Software Education
Global Exam/Certification Development Lead – Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Software

Trainer – HP Software Education – Fortify, TippingPoint

Get Training: http://www.hpenterprisesecurity.com/university

Get Certified: http://h10120.www1.hp.com/ExpertOne/certification_program_overview.html

Joel E. Natt, CISSP CRISC
Global Exam/Certification Development Manager – Hewlett Packard Enterprise Software Education
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for you comments!

I had Webinspect installed on a desktop which I remote into to access it. So my question was, do I need to have admin rights on that desktop in order to use Webinspect efficiently? If I run it as a normal user what will be the impacts on the performance of the tool?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi :

If I understand your updated question correctly.  Basically the Applications is running on a Windows desktop that in theory you could walk up to and run if you where local to the box.  You are most likely running an RDP connection and launching the scans that way.  This would in theory be just as if you are sitting at the workstation doing it your self and not the remote I outlined above.

The impact would only be the limitation of the CPU and Memory on the box and the speed of the network then.  Administrator or User has no impact on performance of the WebInspect tool itself.  This is actually one of the topics we normally cover in detail in the HP Software Education WebInspect Course that I teach for HP.

I hope this answered your question.  If not let me know and I will get you more information and help.

Regards,

Joel E. Natt CISSP, CRISC
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Software Education
Global Exam/Certification Development Lead – Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Software

Trainer – HP Software Education – Fortify, TippingPoint

Get Training: http://www.hpenterprisesecurity.com/university

Get Certified: http://h10120.www1.hp.com/ExpertOne/certification_program_overview.html

Joel E. Natt, CISSP CRISC
Global Exam/Certification Development Manager – Hewlett Packard Enterprise Software Education
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.