Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
nanchun.xiang@h Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cannot receive reponse if send RESTful web service request by HTTP Editor but can receive response if send the same request with SOAP UI.

I need to scan RESTful web service. I tried to use HTTP Editor to send request directly to the RESTful web service and I met below message.

"HTTP Editor: Request aborted-Unable to parse Web Server response: Unable to read data from the transport connection:An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

I used Web Proxy as proxy and HTTP Editor to send. Below message appears:

"HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway
Proxy-Connection:Close
Content-Length: 151

Unable to parse Web Server response : Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

I used SOAP UI to send directly to the web service. It replied success.

"<ReturnMessage>submit succeed</ReturnMessage>

<TransactionId>sder33332</TransactionId>"

Then I used Web Proxy as proxy and SOAP UI to send. Below message appears in SOAP UI:

"Error getting response; java.net.sokcetTimeoutException: Read timed out."

Could anyone let me know how to send successfully with HTTP Editor and Web Proxy as proxy? Thanks a lot. I need to use Web Proxy to create web macro and then to scan it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Outstanding Contributor.. pprofili Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Cannot receive reponse if send RESTful web service request by HTTP Editor but can receive response if send the same request with SOAP UI.

The HTTP Editor has a proxy setting - Edit->Settings -  as does the Web Proxy Tool, so be sure that you have those configured correctly.  Also note that you need to start the Web proxy tool before it will begin to listen for traffic.

If you continue to have issues with connectivity, I'd suggest first making sure the Web Proxy tool has access to the RESTful service by directing a browser through the proxy (assuming you have some simple GET endpoints that you can access using a browser) and verify tha ttraffic is captured before ading the additional complication of the HTTP Editor.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Cannot receive reponse if send RESTful web service request by HTTP Editor but can receive response if send the same request with SOAP UI.

This does appear to be more a network/proxy setting issue than an HTTP Editor issue.  Web Proxy requires the network proxy to be configured manually by the user, and it does not offer simple configuration tricks such as "use whatever MSIE uses".

• Check your MSIE proxy settings to see if they will work in Web Proxy.
    • If the MSIE proxy settings are out of your control, consult with your network admins to identify a single proxy (IP) that you can use for your testing connection needs.
    • If MSIE uses a Proxy PAC file, you may be able to load it in your browser directly, review the raw text and its IF-THEN logic, and perhaps identify a single or default network proxy (IP) that you can use in the configuration.

• If you are having trouble deciphering the "correct" network proxy settings for Web Proxy to use, try setting up Firefox with the network proxy, then transfer those same settings into Web Proxy (manually).  If you lack Firefox or have been banned from installing browsers, make a copy of C:\Program Files\HP\HP WebInspect\browser\ moved to here:  C:\Program Files\HP\browser\, then run the browser.exe found within that copied folder

• You could use BURP instead of Web Proxy, if you find it easier to use.  BURP captures can be used directly as Workflows in your WebInspect scan configuration.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.