Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Connection to the scan database has been lost. How to resolve this issue?

When I try to open the scans which I've scanned in WebInspect, it pops up "Scan Initialization Failed. Connection to the scan database has been lost.Please check your data connectivity settings and try again. SQL Server Error Number:15372" today. Yesterday it worked well. I didn't change the Application Setting. Could you please let me know why this happens and how to resolve? Thank you.

I use SQL Server Express to store scan/report.

SQL Express.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I find the service SQL Server Agent(SQLEXPRESS) is stopped but it cannot be restarted successfully. How can I resolve this issue? Thanks a lot

0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

You don't need the SQL Server Agent service - just the SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service.  Is that one running?

If so, you r issue may be that the SQL Express cache has become corrupted which happens from time to time in some scenarios.  It's an easy firx, if that's the issue - all you need to do is delete the SQLEXPRESS folder that you will find under  C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data.  You will probably need to stop all running SQL related processes to complete the deletion - but after that restart the Server process and give it another try.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Phil. I tried but the issue still exists. Anything else I can do to resolve? Thank you.

BTW, if I need to uninstall and reinstall the webinspect but need to keep the scan data, how can I keep the scan data?

0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Your scan data, when you're using SQL Express, is stored in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\HP\HP WebInspect ScanData so you can always back up that folder to ensure you don't lose scans.

You might try a reinstall of SQL Express if the issue remains after clearing out that cache folder, but if you're still having issues you will probably want to consider opening a support case so that someone can help identify the most likely reason for the issue.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Could it be that you installed a different or additional edition of MS SQL Server or perhaps Visual Studio, and that interfered with your previously operational SQL Express?  Have you verified that the Windows service is still listed with the proper instance name in parentheses, "SQL SErver (SQLEXPRESS)"?

Phil, is correct, the Scan Initialization Failed message is almost always corrected by halting WebInspect and the SQL Server, then deleting that SQL Cache folder (%appdata%\..\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS\).  Not even Repairing or Reinstalling SQL Express over itself will correct for this.  While you are there, see if changing the servcie to Logon As LocalSystem or another administrative account helps.  And verify that you are running WebInspect under a Local Administrator Windows account, not attempting to use Run As.

• To delete the SQL Cache folder, it may be necessary to perform these additional steps:
    • Exit WebInspect.
    • Stop these Windows services, if running:
      • "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)"   [or "SQL Server (MSSQLEXPRESS)"]
      • "WebInspect Data Server"
      • "WebInspect Scheduler Service"
      • "WebInspect Sensor Service"
    • Open the Task Manager and locate and "End Process" for any sqlservr.exe processes listed.
    • Close the "HP Application Security Monitor" found in the System Tray, if present.
    • Delete the cache folder.
      • %appdata%\..\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS\
    • Restart SQL Express service.
      • If desired, restart the other two, WebInspect-related services.
    • Restart WebInspect and verify functioning (new scan, import, or report generation).
      • If desired, restart the HP Application Security Monitor process from the Windows Start Menu.

Check the Windows Event Viewer to ensure there are not additional, other errors regarding SQL Express.  If you must reinstall, bear in mind that you must uninstall SQL Express and reboot before reinstalling it.  the installation UI is misleading, but in general MSFT will not let you just reinstall it.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Hans,

Thank you for your detail reply. I tried the steps you provided but still has the same issue when I open the scan or start a new scan in WebInspect. I will reinstall WebInspect and SQL Server Express. Before that I need to uninstall the existing ones. Could you please let me know which I should uninstall? Thank you.

test.png

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I see you have installed SQL Express 2014 in addition to Express 2012.  WebInspect 16.10 supports Express 2012.  If I had to do this manually, I would uninstall the SQL 2008, SQL 2012, and SQL 2014 items, leaving the SQL Compact.  At some point the item you are uninstalling should take a few additional ones with it.  A cleaner method may be to rerun the installer for SQL Express and select the option to uninstall.

When you install SQL Express 2012, you can deselect all the components other than the database engine, that is all that is needed for WebInspect.  A reboot is often required in order for the SQL Express installer to work properly when you wish to install.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.