Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Developer Reference Runs excruciatingly slow

I am running WebInspect 10.20.  After scanning one of the applications on the site I click to run the following reports:

Executive Summary

Vulnerability (the only difference from default is I remove the low, informational, and best practices options)

Developer Reference

The other 2 parts run really well.  To do both is about 10 minutes.  Then I have let the developer reference run for 5 days and it didn't finish.  I think I have had this issue before on another system and it was a permissions issue.  Unfortunately I can't find anything on the web that talks about this issue.

WebInspect is running on a Windows 2012 R2 system with 2 core and 8GB ram.  The system is virtualized, but I know that doesn't matter for this issue as I have seen it now on both physical and virtual systems.

I appreicate all of the help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The reports utilize SQL queries to complete.  Were you using SQL 2008 Express R2 or a "full size" SQL 2008 edition such as Standard or Enterprise?  If using normal SQL Server, is it installed with WebInspect or (better) collocated on a nearby machine?

Is your account a Local Administrator, or are you needing to use the Run As Admin feature to operate WebInspect?

I believe I ran into this sort of issue with the Developer Reference or Crawled URLs when testing out the new release.  At first I thought the report was broken, but then later it ran fine, albeit a bit long.  Just in case, I have submitted a defect investigation request to have those two reports reviewed for their SQL logic.  Perhaps there is something inefficient inside their logic or views?

To troubleshoot this, sometimes the Report generator tool displays an error at the bottom, but sometimes not.  I would check within the WebInspect application log and perhaps send it to Fortify Support.  The logs for the app are located at the default folder below, although your own Application Settings (Directories panel) could have something else defined.  You can also browse these logs using the Logs Viewer tool, but you have to click the "WebInspect" button to switch its focus away form the scan log folders.

The windows Application Log may also hold something, but the app log folder below is best for WebInspect details.

• C:\Users\%CURRENTUSER%\AppData\Local\HP\HP WebInspect\Logs\00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000\

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Have you tried running the Developer Reference report on its own rather than in conjunction with the other two?  Does it still take forever? 

As it's running, how does the page count look? 

I'm wondering whether there's something in the scan that is causing the report to run to many pages.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.