Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Dot Net Memory Usage?

I'm doing a scan of Dot Net code via batch file on a schedule. Sourceanalyzer is taking an enormous amount of memory to run. Is there a tool or formula for how much memory to allocate for a certain amount of code? Is it by lines of code or by module? I mean I'm giving this scan 5G of memory which seems like it should be plenty. Here is my memory string

set MEMORY=-64 -Xmx5350M -Xms400M -Xss24M 

I'm getting multiple warnings like this but it doesn't seem to matter how much memory I give the scan I always get these messages.

Scan progress is slowing due to JVM garbage collection, which may indicate low memory. For details on making more memory available, please consult the user manual.

This project is approximatly 33,000 lines of code. Can I get some guidance on what the memory requirements are for soureanalyzer.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Commodore
Commodore

Hi Don,

Have you taken a look at our performance guide? This explains quite a bit about memory usage and projects sizes.  There is no one-size-fits-all for SCA memory usage. It is very dependant on the code we are scanning, its size and complexity. 

Also, what version of SCA are you working with and what is the environment like?   For 17.20, in most cases, it is recomended to allow SCA to manage the java heap and not set it directly.  Parellel processing mode is now also a default in this version. 

-mark

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.