Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error while updating Hp webinspect 10.20 to 10.40.

Hi,

I am using hp webinspect 10.20 when i am trying to update to 10.40 i am getting the following error 

"AmpSensor-webinspect couldn't be installed."

It also says may be because of insuffucuent privilages.

But I am logged in as administrator.

and running the application as the admionistrator.

Please Help.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This error is an oldie-yet-a-goldie.  Sometimes it is the installation user's account at issue, but usually it is caused by start-up timing issues and/or a bad or expired entry in the Registry.  This error is generally followed by a roll-back of the WebInspect install with no other options on screen that will work.

While I doubt you entered anything, I find it best to leave the install screen regarding the Sensor details blank, even when installing a Sensor.  It is much simpler to complete that separate product configuration after the installation completes, and may help bypass any troubles such as this error.

Error:

<<

HP WebInspect 1x.xx Setup

Service 'WebInspect Sensor' (Ampsensor-WebInspect) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

[Retry] [ OK]

>>

Fix:

<<

If you encounter this Install error (key word), you might lack the necessary privileges to manage services.
However, sometimes this indicates a corruption from an earlier installation of WebInspect.  You can try the offered Retry button, but odds are good you will need to press Cancel.

If the error was with Starting the Sensor, you may just be able to manually start the “WebInspect Sensor” Windows service and press Retry here.  This could just be a start-up timing issue.

>>

<<

If the earlier installation is blocking your new Install, you may need to uninstall WebInspect as well as erase the following Registry key.

Key = \My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SPI Dynamics\WebInspect\

(May want to reboot before retrying the new install.)

For this "Install" error, it may also help to kill the WebInspect product license entry.  The user will need to have their Activation Token recorded in order to reapply it later.

Key =  \My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SPI Dynamics\Licensing\WebInspect\

May want to reboot before retrying the install.

>>

In addition, newer releases of WebInspect may need an additional Registry entry removed:

<<

The key in question is either HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SPI Dynamics\WebInspect\AmpSensor or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SPI Dynamics\WebInspect\AmpSensor (the latter being the location on a 64-bit machine).

>>

Be sure that when uninstalling WebInspect that you do NOT enable the option to Remove All Data.  You want to keep your scans and macros exactly where they are!  You may also want to prep a little by verifying the scan database settings under the Application Settings menu as well as noting any non-default entries found on its Directories settings panel.

PS - An additional annoyance factor here is that a WebInspect desktop user does not need this Sensor service at all.  Unless you are specifically installing a WebInspect Enterprise Sensor, go into the Windows Services control panel and set the WebInspect Sensor service to Disabled or Manual.  One should never really want to run a Sensor and a WebInspect UI on the same machine anyways.  You can, but you probably will not like it's overall performance.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.