Respected Contributor.. Mark_Egloff Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Fortify MS Visual Studio 2017 error "Failed to load VCProjectWrapper Assembly"

Jump to solution

Hi there , I jsut started to use Fortify SCA 17.20 with MS Visual Studio 2017 plugin for a C++ application and can not execute a scan. The scan stops right at the beginning with the following error message in the plugin.log.

The file VCProjectWrapper.15.6.dll does not exist in the menioned location. Looks like a bug of this Fortify SCA version? Does same people experience the same issue?

08:50:10 13/03/2018 : Failed to load VCProjectWrapper Assembly Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\icg5rrtq.3lw\VCProjectWrapper.15.6.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
   at VCProjectWrapperFactory.VCProjectFactory.loadAssembly()
08:50:50 13/03/2018 : Failed to load VCProjectWrapper Assembly Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\icg5rrtq.3lw\VCProjectWrapper.15.6.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
   at VCProjectWrapperFactory.VCProjectFactory.loadAssembly()

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Respected Contributor..

Re: Fortify MS Visual Studio 2017 error "Failed to load VCProjectWrapper Assembly"

Jump to solution

Hi Shaun

Yes I found a workaround which worked for me. Simple rename the existing older DLL to the newer expected name.

VCProjectWrapper.15.0.dll => VCProjectWrapper.15.6.dll  (or 15.7.dll)

However this should be only a temporary solution and may lead to further issues. The final solution is to update your Fortify Installation to a newer version like 18.10.  If you have a  license / maintenance contract with Microfocus you can simple get the updates form your customer account. Otherwise you may obtain an updated  trail version until you have the contract settled.

12 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: Fortify MS Visual Studio 2017 error "Failed to load VCProjectWrapper As

Jump to solution

Hello Mark,

I've created a Windows Console Application (.NET Framework 4.7) in Visual Studio 2017 and then I went to Fortify -> "Analyze Solution" and the scan was successfull. I couldn't replicate this error.

Are you running Visual Studio 2017 as Administrator? 

Do you have multiple Visual Studio and SCA versions installed?

Try to uninstall both VS 2017 and SCA 17.20 and install them from scratch, then see how it goes.

Regards,

Carmen Radu

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Radu, Can you please try to run it with a C++ applicaiton instead of a .NET? You find sample code in the examples folder of your SCA installation

Yes I run it with a administrator account. No I have only Visual Studio 2017 Commuity and Foritfy SCA v17.20 installed. I also tried to uninstall and re-install Fortify SCA but it did not helped.

Can you please check if you have the missing dll "VCProjectWrapper.15.6.dll'"  on your computer installed? I have on my comupter only the version VCProjectWrapper.15.0.dll'

Failed to load VCProjectWrapper Assembly Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\icg5rrtq.3lw\VCProjectWrapper.15.6.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Thank you

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi Mark,

I am using Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 (Version 15.4.0) -> screenshot attached.

I just scanned successfully the following project with it:

C:\Program Files\HPE_Security\Fortify_SCA_and_Apps_17.20\Samples\advanced\c++\VS2017\Sample1\Sample.sln.

It worked for me without any issues.

I only have VCProjectWrapper.15.0.dll at the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\icg5rrtq.3lw

Try uninstalling and installing from scratch VS 2017 too, then uninstall and install again SCA 17.20 with the VS 2017 plugin.

Regards,
Carmen Radu

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution
Thank you Radu. I have only Visual Studio Community. I installed it on another Computer and still Face there the same Problem. If possible can you test with the Community Edition? Thank you
0 Likes
mblanco Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello,

What is the .Net version that you are using, I saw this with .Net 4.7.1 which is not currently supported, you can change the .Net version used by following this Microsoft document

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398202.aspx

Regards

Miguel

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Miguel

It is not .NET, it is C++, However I am using

- Fortify SCA v17.20
- Windows 10
- Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017 Version 15.6.4 (VisualStudio.15.Release/15.6.4+27428.2015)-
- Visual C++ 2017   00369-60000-00001-AA877
see also attachment

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Mark,

I have a same problem with the VS 2017 and SCA 17.20 plugin, however, when upgrade into the SCAc 18.10, the problem resolved! I am also use the VS 2017 Community edition!

0 Likes
SLUNA
Frequent Visitor.

Re: Fortify MS Visual Studio 2017 error "Failed to load VCProjectWrapper Assembly"

Jump to solution

Hi Mark, 

I am curious, if and how you were able to solve this issue. I am seeing the same problem with our C++ Application and with Visual Studio Professional 2017 (15.7.1)  and SCA 17.20 :

After running the translate step, In the plugin log I see,

12:28:46 AM 5/17/2018 : Failed to load VCProjectWrapper Assembly Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\Extensions\icg5rrtq.3lw\VCProjectWrapper.15.7.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I checked C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\Extensions\icg5rrtq.3lw\VCProjectWrapper.15.7.dll' file is not there. There are VCProjectWrapper.12.0.dll , VCProjectWrapper.14.0.dll, and  VCProjectWrapper.15.0.dll but not a VCProjectWrapper.15.7.dll.

0 Likes
PamelaD
New Member.

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue witthe 17.20 version of Fortify

0 Likes
Shaun Logan-Oracle Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

I am also encountering the same message:

Failed to load VCProjectWrapper Assembly Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\icg5rrtq.3lw\VCProjectWrapper.15.7.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

When running the scan for a C++ solution from within Visual Studio 2017.

My versions: SCA v17.20; VS 2017: 15.7.5 (.NET 4.7..03062)..

Note the missing .DLL is VCProjectWrapper.15.7.dll (where the OP's message cited VCProjectWrapper.15.6.dll).  The highest version .dll that I do have is VCProjectWrapper.15.0.dll 

Is this an issue with the SCA v17.20 plugin not being compatible somehow (for C++) with updated VS2017 versions?  I am able to successfully scan a C# solution with the same setup.

One responder mentioned upgrading SCA to v18.10 - has anyone else found a resolution that works with SCA 17.20?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Shaun

Yes I found a workaround which worked for me. Simple rename the existing older DLL to the newer expected name.

VCProjectWrapper.15.0.dll => VCProjectWrapper.15.6.dll  (or 15.7.dll)

However this should be only a temporary solution and may lead to further issues. The final solution is to update your Fortify Installation to a newer version like 18.10.  If you have a  license / maintenance contract with Microfocus you can simple get the updates form your customer account. Otherwise you may obtain an updated  trail version until you have the contract settled.

Shaun Logan-Oracle Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Great tip. In the meantime I updated to v18.10 and the issue was resolved as you and others have said.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.