Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. sergiy.parol Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

How do I set VM parameters for cloud scan workers?

I am getting "There is not enough memory available to complete analysis.  For details on making more memory available, please consult the user manual." messages in the scan.log of a Fortify SCA 16.11 cloud scan worker.

However, the manual is not clear about how to configure the recommended VM settings in the case of cloud scans.

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How do I set VM parameters for cloud scan workers?

A Cloudscan Worker is a glorified Fortify SCA machine that listens to orders from the Cloudscan Controller.  I would review the Fortify SCA guide for your SCA release in terms of system resources and scan settings.

• Docs can be located: 
    • Fortify System Requirements document
    • HPE Security Fortify Static Code Analyzer Performance Guide - "HPE_SCA_Perf_Guide_<version>.pdf"
    • HPE_CloudScan_Guide_<version>.pdf

Taken from the HPE_CloudScan_Guide_16.10.pdf

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Appendix C: Optimizing Scan Performance

If you plan to regularly scan a large project, HPE recommends that you run a manual test scan on hardware

that is equivalent to the hardware on which your sensor is installed.

To optimize your scan:

1. To set the HPE Security Fortify SCA scan parameters for optimal performance:

l Adjust the memory settings to align with your hardware.

l Turn on parallel processing.

For information about how to tune SCA, see the HPE Security Fortify Static Code Analyzer Performance

Guide.

2. Run the scan.

3. Note the size of the resulting FPR file and scan log. To ensure that the CloudScan Controller and

Software Security Center can accept FPR or log files larger than 1 GB, increase the following file size

thresholds:

l Navigate to the cloud-ctrl\WEB-INF\classes directory, open the config.properties file, and

then set controller threshold as follows:

max_upload_size=<max_fpr_or_logfile_size_in_MB>

The default value is 1024.

l Navigate to the webapps\ssc\WEB-INF\config\ssc.properties directory, open the

ssc.properties file, and then set the SSC threshold as follows:

upload.mb.limit.analysis.result=<max_fpr_size_in_MB>

The default value is 1024.

4. Check to make sure that your SSC hardware and application startup parameters are set to process very

large FPRs. For more information, see the HPE Security Fortify Static Code Analyzer Performance

Guide.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.. sergiy.parol Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Re: How do I set VM parameters for cloud scan workers?

Thank you Hans.

The issue has been resolved by passing relevant memory tuning parameter (-Xmx) when submit the scan request:

cloudscan.bat -url http://<controller_host>:8080/cloud-ctrl start -b <build_id> -scan -Xmx7G

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.