Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Mark_Egloff Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

How to automate webinspect smart update?

Jump to solution

Dear all, I like to konw if there exists a possiblity that the smart update for WIE / WI can be fully automated without any user interaction (silent)? I have seen that there exists a utility "smartupdater.exe" in the program files folder but I don't know if this can be used via command line.

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to automate webinspect smart update?

Jump to solution

There is a way to launch the SmartUpdate GUI from CLI, but that is not truly useful for automation as you want.  Ref:  https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify-User-Discussions/How-come-TruClient-launch-automatically-everytime-I-start/m-p/1551556

I am going to ask internally for other options.

The WebInspect API does nto currently appear to have a SmartUpdate option either.  They really want the user to click the "Download Now" link, don't they?

+++++++++++++

For WIE, you have a much easier time.  In the WIE Console (thick client), the administrators would add a Scheduled SmartUpdate.  This will fetch the WebInspect/Sensor parts needed.  Updates to the attack database would be pushed to Sensors as needed.  For new releases, the administrators would need to use the SmartUpdate Approval panel to accept the latest WebInspect version, and then that would roll out automatically to the Sensors.

If your WebInspect users had Activation Tokens with the Server Mode set to either Roaming or Fixed, they would receive their updates from their local/connected WIE Manager via this process, and not directly from Fortify.  Most WebInspect Activation Tokens are unfortunately set to "Standalone", so it is likely that your installations are not under WIE control.  A call to Fortify Licensing can correct that to "Roaming" if you wish.  anyways, those WIE-connected WebInspect users would auto-SmartUpdate when launching the GUI, but again I do not know about an automated CLI SmartUpdate option just yet.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to automate webinspect smart update?

Jump to solution

There is a way to launch the SmartUpdate GUI from CLI, but that is not truly useful for automation as you want.  Ref:  https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify-User-Discussions/How-come-TruClient-launch-automatically-everytime-I-start/m-p/1551556

I am going to ask internally for other options.

The WebInspect API does nto currently appear to have a SmartUpdate option either.  They really want the user to click the "Download Now" link, don't they?

+++++++++++++

For WIE, you have a much easier time.  In the WIE Console (thick client), the administrators would add a Scheduled SmartUpdate.  This will fetch the WebInspect/Sensor parts needed.  Updates to the attack database would be pushed to Sensors as needed.  For new releases, the administrators would need to use the SmartUpdate Approval panel to accept the latest WebInspect version, and then that would roll out automatically to the Sensors.

If your WebInspect users had Activation Tokens with the Server Mode set to either Roaming or Fixed, they would receive their updates from their local/connected WIE Manager via this process, and not directly from Fortify.  Most WebInspect Activation Tokens are unfortunately set to "Standalone", so it is likely that your installations are not under WIE control.  A call to Fortify Licensing can correct that to "Roaming" if you wish.  anyways, those WIE-connected WebInspect users would auto-SmartUpdate when launching the GUI, but again I do not know about an automated CLI SmartUpdate option just yet.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.