Captain
Captain

How to select rendering engine in HP Web Inspect 10.30

I am using HP WebInspect 10.30. 

I want to change the rendering engine. How to do it ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It can be changed when recording the login macro:

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Hi

I am not using any macro for my scan.  Is there any way to do it without macro ?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There is a Rendering agent control in the Macro Recorder, but that only pertains to the recording and playback of those sessions.

For the most part WebInspect uses its own "browser" to generate links and such as it goes through a web site, and it does not halt on any errors or certificate errors, et al.  Scripts encountered are handed off to a buried Mozilla engine that appears as "browser.exe" in the Task List, but the "browser" is roughly equivalent to MSIE yet it attempts to follow HTTP standards.

By default, WebInspect 10.30 will identify itself to the target server with the User Agent for Firefox 30 (see below).  Earlier versions of WebInspect had defaulted to some MSIE version.  The user may alter that reported User Agent string within the Default Scan Settings > Cookies/Headers panel.  Add the desired "User-Agent:" entry there before your next scan.  You could also access this setting during the Scan Wizard.

Default used in WebInspect 10.30:

"User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0"

In addition, the Mobile (Server) Scan wizard option found within the Guided Scan Wizard offers the three common mobile browsers of iOS, Android, and Windows.  It offers the following instructions to add custom user agents with the same Cookies/Headers scan settings panel.

Taken from the Help Guide, specific to Mobile Server scanning:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Using the Mobile Scan Template

Creating a Custom User Agent Header

WebInspect and WebInspect Enterprise include user agents for Android, Widows, and iOS devices. If you are using one of these options, you do not need to create a custom user agent header. If you want your Web browser to identify itself as a different mobile device or a specific OS version, create a custom user agent header.

To create a custom user agent:

1. Click the Advanced icon in the Guided Scan tool bar.

2. The Scan Settings window appears.

3. In the Scan Settings column, select Cookies/Headers.

4. In the Append Custom Headers section of the settings area, double-click the User-Agent string.

The Specify Custom Header box appears.

5. Type in User-Agent: followed by the user agent header string for the desired device.

6. Click OK.

The new custom user agent will now be available to select as your Mobile Client.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

"the "browser" is roughly equivalent to MSIE yet it attempts to follow HTTP standards."

That part made me LOL.  😄 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.