Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

How to specify Rule file on Fortify Maven SCA plugin

Jump to solution

Hi,

Many of our developers rely on Maven SCA plugin to get their code scanned. And there has been some frustration seen by them with our not being able to tell how to suppress certain false positive vulnerabilities via a Data flow rule that they created through the Rule wizard tool.

mvn --settings test-settings-local.xml -Dfortify.sca.source.version=1.8 -Dfortify.sca.tests.exclude=true -Dfortify.sca.exclude="target:node_modules:part-ui-tests:src/test:src/main/webapp:*pom.xml:**/pom.xml" -Dfortify.sca.JavaClasspath="C:\Users\kpuvvada\GitPivot\part_analytics\partwebportal\target\part-web-portal\WEB-INF\lib" -Dfortify.sca.RulesFile="C:\Users\kpuvvada\AppData\Local\Fortify\CRE-20.2.0\rules\AccessControlDatabase-part.xml" -Dcom.fortify.sca.RulesFile="C:\Users\kpuvvada\AppData\Local\Fortify\CRE-20.2.0\rules\AccessControlDatabase-part.xml" -Dfortify.sca.debug=true -Dfortify.sca.upload=false sca:translate sca:scan

Is the above syntax not correct? Apparently so. When we look at the resultant fpr files from the scans, we still see the rule desired to be blocked being reported as vulnerability. The said rule category has been previously reviewed and concluded by our organization and we have deemed it as not-applicable or just noise. If someone can please provide me the correct syntax, I will greatly appreciate the help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I just checked the plugins directory of the installed SCA, it has the source code of the Maven plugin.  In it, I can see that the plugin's scan phase will honour properties such as fortify.sca.rules (which, according to the javadoc, can be created by the nested rules and rule tags, apparently in pom.xml).

Another idea would be to set up a shell script /opt/fortify/bin/sourceanalyzer.sh and point to it with -Dfortify.sca.sourceanalyzer.executable=/opt/fortify/bin/sourceanalyzer.sh on the Maven command line.

/opt/fortify/jre/bin/java -D... -Xmx.. -jar /opt/fortify/Core/lib/exe/sca-exe.jar -rules "${FORTIFY_RULES:-/opt/fortify/Core/config/rules}" "$@"

and manipulate it with an environment variable (exported shell variable).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I just checked the plugins directory of the installed SCA, it has the source code of the Maven plugin.  In it, I can see that the plugin's scan phase will honour properties such as fortify.sca.rules (which, according to the javadoc, can be created by the nested rules and rule tags, apparently in pom.xml).

Another idea would be to set up a shell script /opt/fortify/bin/sourceanalyzer.sh and point to it with -Dfortify.sca.sourceanalyzer.executable=/opt/fortify/bin/sourceanalyzer.sh on the Maven command line.

/opt/fortify/jre/bin/java -D... -Xmx.. -jar /opt/fortify/Core/lib/exe/sca-exe.jar -rules "${FORTIFY_RULES:-/opt/fortify/Core/config/rules}" "$@"

and manipulate it with an environment variable (exported shell variable).

View solution in original post

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I forgot that the rules apply only to the analysis mode of invokation, so unless there is a pressing need to analyze within the maven invokation, the maven invokation can be reserved just for the translation goal of the plugin.  The analysis can reuse the translation by referring to the same "build ID" that was given as a maven command line parameter -Dfortify.sca.buildId=BUILDID.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.