Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Learner_7 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Macro recording - How to select a particular version of web browser

Jump to solution

Hi All 

Recently I faced an issue with marco recorder. The application to be scanned can be accessed through some specific broswers only.  I need to record the login and when I try to record, I find the response that the browser is not compatible. 

I tried to change the rendering engine to IE from FF, but that did not help. 

To see how I am able to access the application in my browser, I intercepted the request-response and found a specific user agent. (User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0) 

To bring in the same user agent in log in macro, I chose the render engine as IE and I was able to see the response page. I made changes in that (Replacing user agent Mozilla/4.0.............-> Mozilla/5.0......... ). However, making this change and then saving it did not save the right macro. 

So my question is - how can I make changes in the user agent while recording the login macro. 

Earlier, I had made changes in the headers option and added the user agent. However, log in macro does not refer to this while recording a macro. 

Bit frustrated with this, I thought of recording the macro through web proxy. Once recorded, I started the scan, but I did not find the macro doing the work. The scan was just superficial. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Macro recording - How to select a particular version of web browser

Jump to solution

You can run the Macro Recorder tool through the Web Proxy tool.  The Web Proxy offers settings for dynamically replacing text in the traffic if you need it.

Alternatively, you could record the macro in the Web Proxy with your favored browser.  Once captured, use the File menu > Create Macro.  The default name will be "sessions.webmacro", so you will want to alter that as you save it.  Once saved, you can open this with the IE-rendering engine form of the Workflow Macro Recorder if you need further review.

Also, you could record the macro in BURP.  The Workflow-driven scan option in WebInspect accepts our *.webmacro format, BURP captures, or even HPE UFT scripts (if the UFT client is co-installed with WebInspect).

If you are attempting to record a Login Macro, then the Web Proxy may be the best alternative to the Login Macro Recorder for this situation.  When saving the Macro there, you would need to enable the box that it is going to be a Login Macro, and then you must enter a manual Logout Condition, e.g. [STATUSCODE]302.  There is a defect where this Conditions field does not accept Boolean conditions, so just save the Login MAcro for now.  Next, open the macro in the Login MAcro Recorder and it should switch to the IE-rendering engine automatically.  You now have the opportunity to manually update the Logout Conditions to match what actually occurs during the logout.  A very common Condition might take the form of "[STATUSCODE]302 AND [HEADERS]login.aspx"

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

You can run the Macro Recorder tool through the Web Proxy tool.  The Web Proxy offers settings for dynamically replacing text in the traffic if you need it.

Alternatively, you could record the macro in the Web Proxy with your favored browser.  Once captured, use the File menu > Create Macro.  The default name will be "sessions.webmacro", so you will want to alter that as you save it.  Once saved, you can open this with the IE-rendering engine form of the Workflow Macro Recorder if you need further review.

Also, you could record the macro in BURP.  The Workflow-driven scan option in WebInspect accepts our *.webmacro format, BURP captures, or even HPE UFT scripts (if the UFT client is co-installed with WebInspect).

If you are attempting to record a Login Macro, then the Web Proxy may be the best alternative to the Login Macro Recorder for this situation.  When saving the Macro there, you would need to enable the box that it is going to be a Login Macro, and then you must enter a manual Logout Condition, e.g. [STATUSCODE]302.  There is a defect where this Conditions field does not accept Boolean conditions, so just save the Login MAcro for now.  Next, open the macro in the Login MAcro Recorder and it should switch to the IE-rendering engine automatically.  You now have the opportunity to manually update the Logout Conditions to match what actually occurs during the logout.  A very common Condition might take the form of "[STATUSCODE]302 AND [HEADERS]login.aspx"

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
Learner_7 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks HansEnders for this help. 

I need your help for another issue related to WebInspect. My team is facing certain issues in WebInspect scans. For this, we had sent the issue to the support team to address. However, we have not received any update from them. 

Could you help me in this ? We did not even get any ticket id for our problem. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Be certain that you are contact https://support.fortify.com rather than any HP Software generalized help systems.  Those generalized HP teams may not even know our product family belongs to HPE.    :-/

-- Habeas Data
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.