Commodore
Commodore

Microsoft SQL Server for SSC

I currently use the jTDS driver for Microsoft SQL Server in SSC 4.10. The system requirements state that "Software Security Center 4.20 requires a JDBC 4.0-compliant driver. The jTDS driver supports only the JDBC 3.0 specification and can no longer be used with SSC. If you currently use the jTDS driver, you must switch to the Microsoft driver when upgrading to SSC 4.20".

However, the SSC 4.20 Install and Config guide references JDBC examples using the jTDS driver. I assume this is an error. If so, I wanted to point it out. If it's not an error, then what's the official status of the jTDS vs Microsoft JDBC driver?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Steve, I can confirm the System Requirements doc is correct. SSC v4.2 no longer supports the jTDS driver. This is down to updates within SSC which require JDBC 4.0 compatibility; which the jTDS driver is not.

In previous releases we did used to recommend the jTDS driver as it offered improved performance, particularly in FPR processing. However, I'm pleased to say that the work the dev team have done on the back end in v4.2, mean that this is no longer necessary. You should see much improved performance in SSC v4.2 using the MS driver.

I've filed a bug with the docs team to get the example in the SSC Install and Config guide updated to show a MS JDBC driver example. Apologies for the confusion.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Here is a screen shot of my SSC configuration using the new driver

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you are using the jtds driver, you need to change the class name to:

net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver

NOT com.microsoft.sqlserver.whatever...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.