JrG_2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Prevent WebInspect from Consuming Space in the C Drive

Hi again,

Our internal policies do not allow installations in the C drive. Additionally the disk space in the C drive is just enough to actually host the OS files.

WebInspect is installed on a separate drive. However it still seems to consume disk space on C. We've already set all directories to the drive where WebInspect is installed but still the same.

Anything else (i.e. configuration files) that we can check and edit for this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
DWhiteside Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Prevent WebInspect from Consuming Space in the C Drive

Hello,

I wanted to clarify a little on what's occurring and the configuration you've setup.  So you installed WebInspect to the 😧 drive (for this example) and gone into Application Settings > Directories and changed all those directories to point to the 😧 drive as well.  If you're using the SQL Express for your scan database then that is installed on the 😧 drive, if it's remote SQL Server then it shouldn't be on the same box.  So you configured Scans, Logs, Settings, Policies, Generated Reports, Compliance Templates, Scheduled Scans, Tool Settings, Web Macros, Web Forms and Web Discovery files to be written to the 😧 drive.

Can you elaborate on what data is being written to the C: drive and where? 

I suspect that you are seeing some updates to C: because this is where we store the updated checks that are downloaded, this file will be updated and grow over time.

Thanks,

DWhiteside
HP Application Security
0 Likes
JrG_2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DWhiteside,

Thanks for your response. Yes, we basically have most of the directories instructed to be written to the 😧 drive. We cannot determine where and what data is being stored in C, but what's certain is while the scan is running, as the scan progresses the disk space in C still decreases.

With regards to the updates, will it be okay to delete the temporary update files? If so, in what folder should I usually find them in C:?

0 Likes
DWhiteside Absent Member.
Absent Member.

JrG_2,

You asked about the location of update files on the C: drive and I dropped the location below (On Server 2008) however I wouldn't start deleting files yet.  While there are check updates, the file sizes are small and wouldn't account for the constantly growing file size on your C: drive while scanning.

C:\ProgramData\SPI Dynamics\SmartUpdate\patches\WebInspect

I'm doing some testing to see if I can reproduce the issue you're seeing. I'd suggest turning off the traffic monitor in default settings but it writes to the logs directory and you said that was pointed to 😧 drive.  The logs increment in size as a scan runs but you said that is pointed to the 😧 drive.  A SmartUpdate might add a little size to the C: drive but it's not going to happen while you're scanning.  The scan data will of course increment in size but you have that pointed to the 😧 drive and I'm assuming the SQL Express is not configured to store data on the C: drive. Let me do some testing and I'll get back with you on this issue.

Thanks,

DWhiteside
HP Application Security
0 Likes
Established Member.. a1hm2zz
Established Member..

Unfortunately, the "WebInspect with Prerequisites" installer never offers a chance to install SQL Express to anywhere other than the default (C:) location. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Unfortunate but true. In this situation, you can uninstall SQL Express and reinstall it from Microsoft download separately, as that would then offer this option and would not affect WebInspect's ability to use SQL Express. Regardless of where SQL Express is installed on the machine's hard drives, you control where the WebInspect scan files are stored, via the Application Settings > Directories panel found within WebInspect.  See the attached document detailing these Directories settings.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
DeyanChavdarov Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

It seems that WebInspect (17.20) creates lots of folders wiht considerable amopunt of data under user's temp folder, usually %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp.

Folders are labeled with prefix: "ACSMasterProfile_XXXX" and some kind of identifier. 

I tried to set user's temp env to another drive (D:), but then WebInspect failed to start. 

Any idea how to change the temp folder user by WebInspect during run-time?

Thanks!

Deyan

[Give Kudos or accept as Solution, if post helped you :)]
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. pprofili Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

When you say that "WebInspect failed to start" - do you have any specifics?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.