Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SCA Parallel mode configuration seems not working.

Jump to solution

My colleague is trying to scan her code base in VS2008 using SCA v4.10.(previously, she installed sca 3.8 and has the plugin for VS2008.)

The LOC is more than 1.5M, and failed to be scanned several times(took more than 24 hours) due to the memory problem.

And now she set the parallel mode in fortify_sca.properties as following:

com.fortify.sca.RmiWorkers=6

com.fortify.sca.IncrementFileMaxSizeMB=1024

com.fortify.sca.RmiWorkerMaxHeap=1024MB

But on the resource monitor, it still shows using only 1 thread.

parallel mode.png

Does anyone know what could be the problem here?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You need to use M for MB or G for GB. E.g.

com.fortify.sca.RmiWorkerMaxHeap=1024M

or

com.fortify.sca.RmiWorkerMaxHeap=1G

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Please verify the value set for com.fortify.sca.ThreadCount found in <install_dir>\core\config.  By default SCA will use all available threads, but this setting permits you to throttle that as needed.  (see Appendix B of the SCA User Guide v4.21)

From earlier conversations, I believe they would do better when the master heap is double that of the worker heap, i.e.  Xmx = 2(RmiWorkerMaxHeap).

Despite them setting com.fortify.sca.RmiWorkers to 6, the prescribed method is to use the -j option on the SCA CLI to set that value.  To figure out the maximum number of workers for your installation:  (Total Physical Memory)  /  [ (Physical Memory per Java Process) * (Number of Process) ]

Also, are they running this analysis via the command line or inside of Visual Studio?  The CLI might offer better performance?

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your feedback.

We just found the warning message : Unable to parse value of property "com.fortify.sca.RmiWorkerMaxHeap": "1024MB" so we removed this property and are running SCA again.

If it goes wrong again, I will try to run via CLI as you advised.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You need to use M for MB or G for GB. E.g.

com.fortify.sca.RmiWorkerMaxHeap=1024M

or

com.fortify.sca.RmiWorkerMaxHeap=1G

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.