Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Commodore
Commodore

Takes long time for audit

Hi,

At times, audit count remains the same for a very long time & the count nver changes as if it is stuck at that audit check. So I try to pause the test  and would click on start to resume again to proceed. Is there any reason why this happens and a solution for the test to get completed faster.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

There could be a number of things at play here. First, let me get some basic information. What version of WebInspect are you using? What about operating system and database server? Are you using a login macro? Are you scanning the site behind a proxy? What crawl depth and audit policy did you select in the WebInspect scan wizard? Also, can you tell me anything about the technologies that your site is using (PHP, Java, .Net, etc). Thanks.

Jeremy

HP ASC

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Please find my reply below:

WebInspect Version used : 8.1

operating system: Windows XP

Using a login macro: Yes

Scanning the site behind a proxy : No

Ccrawl depth and audit policy did selected in the WebInspect scan wizard : Standard Policy

Also, can you tell me anything about the technologies that your site is using (PHP, Java, .Net, etc) : Java -Web application

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Unfortunately the problem sounds too general to give a specific solution. To drill deeper would require posting potentially sensitive information about your web site. Now that 9.0 is available, I would recommend that you upgrade and scan the site again. It is very possible that your issue was fixed in 9.0. You can still use your settings and macros from 8.1, or even better, you can just open the scan in 9.0 and hit the "Rescan" button.

If the problem persists, contact support:

http://h30501.www3.hp.com/t5/WebInspect/How-to-contact-HP-ASC-Customer-Support/m-p/18471/highlight/true#M681

They will be better to dive much deeper into the problem than is possible on the forums.

Jeremy 

HP ASC

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

For your situation you will want to contact Customer Support, as full discussions on the details are beyond a forum use.

Also review this other post on "When will the scan finish":  http://h30501.www3.hp.com/t5/WebInspect/Expected-finish-time/m-p/5957#M255

I suspect there are a variety of settings that Support could advise for your particular application to make the scan more economical.  Out of the box, WebInspect is meant to be balanced between thoroughness and speed, but any live application may have complications that the user must account for.  Remember that the Audit count will typically be three times more than the total Crawl count, so the Crawl time and effective (or excessive) coverage can serve as your forecasted time to some extent.

• custom state-keeping variables needed for HTTP Parsing settings
  • non-default Crawler limitations, e.g. disabling these can cause infinite crawl
  • custom File Not Found, e.g. non-existent pages being shown on Site tree and wasting audit time
  • enable Redundant Page Detection, e.g. hundreds of pages with static content
  • tune down the events per page setting under Content Analyzers, if script events were enabled.
  • one particular security check could have been recently modified and have an error in its logic.
  • etcetera

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just wondering could this be a non-isolated case? Was there a recent update for WebInspect that's causing this issue?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

WebInspect just released version 9.0 but the reported issue was reported in version 8.1.

It's best to contact support as advised. 

Quentin Baker
HP Application Security Center
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

I had upgraded webinspect to 9.0. Manual audit was done. Crawl was done sucessfully but audit got stuck to a particular check & got stuck there for more than 2 days. 'Re-scan' as mentioned in above replies may workout for automated crawl. but for manual crarl, the crawling needs to be done again manually. As the application is very big, it is nearly very hard to do the manual crawl again.

Requestor thread count is set to 1, Limit maximum single url hits to-5 & Perform redundant page detection is enabled in the scan settings already

Kindly suggest options to speed up this test & how to do the audit alone again and with the existing crawl count.

In need of immediate response please. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hi,

Waiting for the reply to proceed with a test. Kindly help

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sample,

As stated above, you will need to contact support to investigate this issue further.  http://h30501.www3.hp.com/t5/WebInspect/How-to-contact-HP-ASC-Customer-Support/m-p/18471/highlight/true#M681

Thanks,

Nic

0 Likes
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Hi Team,

Re: Takes long time for audit

The scan is running more than 7days and i' m not sure the scan will be get complete after the one week.Please suggest me the solution. below i have metnioned the scan details and techn supports.

WebInspect Version used : 17.10

operating system: Windows 7

Using a login macro: Yes

Scanning the site behind a proxy : No

Ccrawl depth and audit policy did selected in the WebInspect scan wizard : Standard Policy

Also, can you tell me anything about the technologies that your site is using (PHP, Java, .Net, etc) : Java -Web application

0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

The time it takes for a scan to complete is very dependent on the specific behavior of the application and as such it's impossible to speculate based on just that information what the solution might be.  I would suggest working with technical support so that you can share scan samples with them so that a clear picture of that behavior can be developed.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.