Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
ambatiratan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Transfer Data (scanfiles and reports) from one system database MS SQL Server 2005 to another sysetm

I want to transfer Data (scanfiles and reports) from one system database MS SQL Server 2005 .

Both the systems are installed with webinspect and same database (MS SQL Server 2005 ). I want to transfer data from one system to another system and want to open the scan files and reports in another system.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Transfer Data (scanfiles and reports) from one system database MS SQL Server 2005 to another sysetm

Moving the supporting files for WebInspect is simply a matter of reviewing the Directories setting and manually transferring the files.  These fields are found under the Edit menu > Application Settings > Directories panel.  Many of these file path entries default to the "Documents and Settings" folders for either the Current User or "All Users".

The only file path entry that may cause you trouble is the ScanData entry.  If using SQL Express (2008 or 2005) as the scan repository, this is where the individual scan files are stored, as MDF/LDF file pairs named after their WebInspect/database "ScanID".  One folder level up you will find the \Logs\ folder which is populated with subfolders named for each of the same ScanIDs.  It is not difficult to move these files manually, but they will not appear within the WebInspect UI until you remove the "Scans.XML" file within the \ScanData\ folder.  This XML file will auto-rebuild when you restart WebInspect and it is used to index the contents of the ScanData folder in order to list them in the "Manage Scans" portion of the WebInspect UI.

If you are instead using a full SQL Server (2008 or 2005), then the ScanData entry will not be so simple.  The scan logs will still be in the same location on the hard drive, but your actual scan data is housed within your SQL database.  The simplest manner to migrate these scans is to back-up the SQL database (MDF), and perform a database restore/transfer to the new SQL Server.

If instead of moving the SQL database you are seeking to synchronize two databases and continue using them, then this gets tougher.  You will need to Export each desired scan from the first WebInspect to a *.SCAN file, and then Import these archives into the other/second copy of WebInspect.  We do not have a tool for automating this process, although we have made Product Management aware of its need.

Lastly, if this is a move with the intention of erasing the original WebInspect machine, you will want to self-Deactivate that WebInspect's license as your final step.  This action frees up your Activation Token for use on another machine without needing to contact HP Support or Sales.  This feature is located under the Edit menu > Application Settings > License panel > blue "Deactivate" link.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
Highlighted
k1DBLITZ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Transfer Data (scanfiles and reports) from one system database MS SQL Server 2005 to another sys

Just wanted to chime and say that this method does indeed work, still today.

I just migrated from one machine to another with the method HansEnders describes above. I am using the local SQL express installation and verified that I can still review the previous scan data. 

We are now running on a Windows 7 64bit OS with 32gb of RAM and an Intel Xeon E5-2630 CPU. (8 core with additional 8 cores via hyperthreading)

Brings a tear to my eye every time I look at the task manager.   :)

BRING ON THE WEBINSPECTS! 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Transfer Data (scanfiles and reports) from one system database MS SQL Server 2005 to another sys

Note that WI 10.30+ now requires .NET 4.5.1 and supports 64-bit architecture.  That combination permits it to take advantage of Large Heap Memory and we got some good performance boosts with that release.  Thanks for the feedback!

Also note, the Rescan > Vulns Only feature only works for scans for the same release version.  Design decision, and not really unique to this latest 10.40 release.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.