Highlighted
JacobPhillipT Contributor.
Contributor.

Unable to render one part of a site with WI, but can in IE on the same system.

Hello,

I'm using a certificate and need to scan one section of a development site.  If I pull up IE browser, I can use  the certificate and get all the way to the directory of the app I need to scan.  One thing to note is the developer says I need to have IE Compatibility settings unchecked.  I did that in IE and I can view their site/app, no problem.

However, when I then open up Web inspect, Start a Guided scan > Use IE as rendering engine, choose my cert etc... I cannot get to that one Directory/App.  There is an endless spinny wheel saying "Application is having trouble loading, If you're in IE11 check compatibility settings.".  I've done that, I changed IE settings, refreshed, rebooted, raised and lowered Requestor Threads, everything I can think of.

The developer also reported that people are having that issue if they do not uncheck "Compatibility Settings" in IE.  How can I change WI current compatibility setting?  I already disabled it in IE and restarted Web Inspect

Plz Halp!  Any ideas are welcome.  Thank you

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Unable to render one part of a site with WI, but can in IE on the same system.

Certificates can be a bit tricky. Have you tried an Interactive scan instead of Guided Scan?

Is your cert already in the Windows cert store? Or is it similar to CAC or PKI client-side certs?

If you prefer to use the Basic Scan Wizard, or simply pre-setting all scan details (Default Scan Settings), open the Scan Settings dialog (lower left corner of Basic Scan wizard), and go to the Authentication panel.  Enable the box for "Client Certificate", then press the Select button and go through the same selection window and Pin Test as described above.

0 Likes
Contributor.

Re: Unable to render one part of a site with WI, but can in IE on the same system.

Great suggestions,

The certificate is in the Windows Store and I'm pretty sure it works since I can use it in IE and access to app/directory I need to scan.  On the same system as the Web Inspect

I'm doing a guided scan to verify I'm getting to the needed portion of the site (restrict to folder option checked as well).  It requires a password after selecting your certificate.  I did try that alternate method though

Still having the issue... any other ideas? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If that is the case, I would recommend running a Workflow driven scan.

You can create a Workflow macro to ensure Fortify WebInspect audits the pages you specify in the
macro...This type of macro is used most often to focus on a particular subsection of the application.

You can truly check if compatibility mode is turned off by browsing here: https://www.alliedinternetservices.com/ccheck/iecheck.html

You mention it requests a password after choosing the certificate. Is that a static password? If not, the an interactive is your best course of action.

The reason for my asking about if the cert was installed in the store is the cert could be located on an external device. Also, WebInspect will only be able to browse these sections of the Windows cert store:  Local Machine and Current User.

If you still encounter issues it may be best to send a set of logs with traffic to tech support for further analysis.

0 Likes
Contributor.

Yeah, good ideas thanks.  The Compatibility Mode check link shows that CC mode is turned off. 

A Macro is a great idea I'll try that.  I wonder if it'll work, in the first steps of a guided scan I use "Verify" and walk it through the steps to get there, but it won't render that part of the site after logging in.  (But will work with IE explorer)

"The application is having trouble loading.  If you are using Internet Explorer 11, be sure to disable compatibility mode."  With spinney wheel.  We know it connected to the part of the site because i was working with one of their admins.  It stayed connect like it was loading then eventually no connection.  This is as I am trying to use "Verify" on a guided scan.

I'm on version 16.20, I'm pretty sure I need to upgrade soon anyway (I'm kinda new here).

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.