Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrading Software Security Center and WebInspect Enterprise

Jump to solution

Sorry if I'm repeating myself by starting  this as a separate discussion, but I'm not sure if/how my replies to other notifications are shared with the community. 

Any advice for someone at Software Security Center version 4.00.0096 and WebInspect Enterprise 10.10 who wants to upgrade to the SSC 4.30 and WIE 10.40?

It seems necessary to upgrade each component (SSC and WIE) to each incremental upgrade, ex for WIE 10.10 to 10.20, 10.20 to 10.30, and then 10.30 to 10.40.  Our environment has SSC on one VM, WIE on another VM, and 3 WI scanners on 3 separate VM's with another VM server hosting the MS SQL db.  So performing these sequential upgrades on the distributed components seems very daunting and fraught with opportunities for failure. 

Has anyone had any experience in upgrading a similar environment that could share lessons learned?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just looking at the documentation, I believe you are correct.  You would need to Back-up the SSC and WebInspect Enterprise (WIE) databases, then install SSC 4.10 then WIE 10.20, plus run the WIE Initialization to ensure connection.  After that is ready, run Back-ups again, and upgrade to SSC 4.20 and WIE 10.30, then Back-ups and finally to SSC 4.30 and WIE 10.40.

• SSC 4.0 <> WIE 10.10
  • SSC 4.10 <> WIE 10.20
  • SSC 4.20/4.21 <> WIE 10.30
  • SSC 4.30 <> WIE 10.40

The Fortify Support team (support.fortify.com) might be able to provide you schema update SQL Queries to make this simpler.  I think I have seen some such bundles hosted in the Fortify documentation area here on Protect724, but I would inquire with them before just using them outright.

Some customers would set up temporary VM's such that each VM had the next iteration hop of the installation.  This would help ensure you had the supported OS and other prerequisites for that particular upgrade, and could quickly drop back to the other without any OS work.  When finished, you would want to end up back on the actual server(s) meant for Production.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just looking at the documentation, I believe you are correct.  You would need to Back-up the SSC and WebInspect Enterprise (WIE) databases, then install SSC 4.10 then WIE 10.20, plus run the WIE Initialization to ensure connection.  After that is ready, run Back-ups again, and upgrade to SSC 4.20 and WIE 10.30, then Back-ups and finally to SSC 4.30 and WIE 10.40.

• SSC 4.0 <> WIE 10.10
  • SSC 4.10 <> WIE 10.20
  • SSC 4.20/4.21 <> WIE 10.30
  • SSC 4.30 <> WIE 10.40

The Fortify Support team (support.fortify.com) might be able to provide you schema update SQL Queries to make this simpler.  I think I have seen some such bundles hosted in the Fortify documentation area here on Protect724, but I would inquire with them before just using them outright.

Some customers would set up temporary VM's such that each VM had the next iteration hop of the installation.  This would help ensure you had the supported OS and other prerequisites for that particular upgrade, and could quickly drop back to the other without any OS work.  When finished, you would want to end up back on the actual server(s) meant for Production.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Was Hans answer correct? If so, please mark the answer as correct. Thanks!

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have been unsuccessful in attempting to perform this upgrade in house. 

Can anyone suggest a consultant with experience performing such an upgrade?

We have reached out to HP professional services but after waiting several weeks and numerous inquiries the SOW we received was lacking in detail. 

We are running a windows server 2008 r2 with microsoft sql environment on vmware. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.