Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

WI & WIE Reporting Format - XML

Hi WebInspect experts out there,

Could anyone please advise what is the XML version being used by WebInspect standalone and WebInspect Enterprise 19.2 & 20.1 ? 

I noticed that the XML report formatting is different between the standalone and enterprise version. Understand that XML report format generated from WIE is XML 1.0, but I am not too sure what version is the XML format generated from WI standalone. 

Attaching the XML report comparison (Left: WIE; Right: WI)

Thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You are correct. The XML format of a scan exported from WIE is different from WI. As mentioned, we do not include an XML declaration in the XML exported from WI.

We do use use System.Xml.XmlWriter Create (System.IO.Stream output, System.Xml.XmlWriterSettings  settings);. According to MS docs, XMLWriter writes XML 1.0 text syntax.

As this is different code (between WIE and WI) it is possible one team set a declaration flag and the other did not. With XML declarations are optional. If you are seeing this as a problem for automation,  my recommendation would be to open a ticket with support and we can bring this up with development.

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks eBell for your explaination!

Yes it does confuse our reporting automation where we integrate it to Kenna Security. We tried to use XMLLint tool to validate the XML code from both, only WIE one is showing error, while WI one looks all good.

Also, our reporting tool, Kenna Security recognized the format from WIE as invalid but only accept the format from WI. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Interesting that your WIE XML is providing formatting errors as I'm not able to reproduce this using XMLLint.

xmllint-results.png

How are you exporting your scan to XML? I used the WIE API. Attached is a copy of the resulting XML file.

What version/build of WIE are you using?

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

hi eBell,

Thanks for your reply. I was following the Path below to generate report: Select scan > 'Export' > 'Export Scan as XML' in WIE 19.20. 

I am interested to know how did you generate it from WIE API? 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.