Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

WebInspect 10.30 fails to open at 99% - ADO mismatch issue with SQL CE installations

I was having this trouble with my WebInspect update to 10.30, so I thought I would share.

Since I had a 64-bit OS with WI 10.20, and wanted to use the "pure" x64 WI 10.30, I uninstalled 10.20 and then installed 10.30, rather than use the SmartUpdate.  Instead of starting up properly, the WebInspect splash screen would load its scripts to "99%" and then quietly close.  Once or twice I would see the following error.  Discussions with Support indicated I was not alone in this issue, and that the problem was that previously installed instances of SQL Compact Edition (SQL CE) may have been to blame.  (I had them left over from tinkering with the HP LIM last year.)

WebInspect comes with its own SQL CE DLL's in order to process the SecureBase during SmartUpdate.  These are not installed to the Windows GAC so when they are called, if there is another SQL CE installed into the GAC, there is a conflict and WebInspect fails to open.

This issue is detailed in the WebInspect 10.30 Release Notes.  The unfortunate missing detail with the 10.30 release is that the Release Notes documents for the various Fortify products were combined during this Fall's release.  So, the WI 10.30 Release Notes are actually inside the Fortify 4.20 Release Notes document.  You can access that material by logging into Protect724 > Product Line menu > Fortify  > Product Documentation > Release Notes > Software Security Center Release Notes (All) > HP Fortify Software Security Center v4.20 Release Notes     (Jump to page 14 of 15 for WebInspect Known Issues.)

Error:

Unable to connect to SecureBase.
File version mismatch detected between ADO.NET Provider and native binaries of SQL Server Compact which could result in an incorrect functionality. This could be due to the presence of multiple instances of SQL Server Compact of different versions. Please install SQL Server Compact binaries of matching version [ADO.NET Provider File Version = 3.5.5692., Native Binary File Version = 3.5.8080.]

Release Notes entry:

"In some cases, when SQL CE is already installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC), WebInspect will experience conflicts in loading those assemblies. The following error message indicates that this is occurring: Unable to connect to SecureBase.
File version mismatch detected between ADO.NET Provider and nativebinaries of SQL Server Compact which could result in an incorrect functionality. This could be due to the presence of multiple instancesof SQL Server Compact of different versions. Please install SQL ServerCompact binaries of matching version [ADO.NET Provider File Version = 3.5.5692., Native Binary File Version = 3.5.8080.] The root cause of the issue is that only the 32 bit version is pre-installed in the GAC. This condition can be remediated by making sure that both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SQL CE are installed in the GAC."

Fix:

1. I uninstalled all SQL instances, which were SQL CE 3.x, SQL CE 4.0, and SQL Express 2008.    (I took the opportunity to replace Express 2008 with Express 2012.  Hey, lemonade!  :-)
  2. Rebooted
  3. Installed SQL Express 2012
  4. Rebooted
  5. WebInspect opened fine.
  6. Now all good.
  7. But then...   I ran into some "user instance failed" messages when attempting to Import or Run Scans, or essentially do anything related to the WI database.  Deleting the SQL Cache folder shown below fixed that, just as it does for the Scan Initialization Failure messages SQL Express likes to hit us with sometimes.

- C:\Users\%CURRENT_USER%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS\

You may not need to uninstall everything SQL-related as I did.  Other Support customers have reported fixing this and ending up with SQL CE 3.x for 32-bit and SQL CE 4.x for 64-bit, and WebInspect 10.30 accepted that situation fine.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
Labels (2)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.