Absent Member.
Absent Member.

WebInspect 10.4 Failing to Start

Running WebInspect 10.4 and it has just started failing to initialize.  I get the splash screen for one or two seconds and then it disappears.  Using the LogViewer I found the following error message:

2015-06-17 12:50:04,275 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App entering Main

2015-06-17 12:50:05,507 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App in InitializeWebInspect, calling QueueUserWorkItem(new WaitCallback(CheckSecureBaseConnectionThreadProc)

2015-06-17 12:50:05,523 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App in InitializeWebInspect, starting refreshScanManagerThread(ScanManagerRefreshThreadProc)

2015-06-17 12:50:05,523 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App entering initializeSingletons

2015-06-17 12:50:05,523 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App in initializeSingletons, calling FileUploadBroker.GetBroker()

2015-06-17 12:50:05,523 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App in initializeSingletons, calling MessageBroker.GetBroker()

2015-06-17 12:50:05,539 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App in initializeSingletons, calling App.Instance._licenseEvaluator.ConfigureLicensing()

2015-06-17 12:50:07,614 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App in initializeSingletons,initializingFile Uploader

2015-06-17 12:50:07,629 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App in initializeSingletons,initializing Message Downloader

2015-06-17 12:50:07,629 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App exiting initializeSingletons

2015-06-17 12:50:07,629 ERROR [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App in Main, swallowing exception 6

System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()

at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)

at jl..ctor(String path)

at SupportChannel.Client.MessageBroker.Initialize(String[] Audiences, String Language, String StorageDirectory, String Url, MessageBrokerContactMode CM, Guid LicenseApplicationInstance)

at SupportChannel.Client.MessageBroker.Initialize(String[] Audiences, String Language, String StorageDirectory, String Url, MessageBrokerContactMode CM)

at SPI.WebInspect.App.a(SplashForm2 A_0)

at SPI.WebInspect.App.e()

at SPI.WebInspect.App.k()

2015-06-17 12:50:07,707 WARN [1 ] SPI.WebInspect.App exiting Main

Any idea on how to fix this?  Thanks,

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

A quick way to rule out corruption in the data is to delete/rename the following two directories.  They should rebuild on-load.  Was this a recent SmartUpdate to 10.40 from 10.30, or did it begin occurring after 10.40 had been operational?

1. Delete these folders:
    1. C:\Program Files\HP\HP WebInspect\browser\
    2. C:\Program Files\HP\HP WebInspect\dat\
  2. Restart WebInspect which will rebuild them.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is occurring after 10.40 was operational for two weeks.  I've tried renaming the folders but the new folders are not created.  Using Process Explorer it looks like some registry entries are not there.

Thanks for the response.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you rerun the WebInspect installer (e.g. webinspect64.exe), it should offer you a Repair option.  Barring that, our Support team can be contacted at support.fortify.com.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are there any Windows Event Logs that correlate? 

I recall I had a problem launching the macro recorder once... it would just hang.

Turned out to be a some type of browser plugin/extension that was causing a conflict.  

I wouldn't spin your wheels too much on tracking down the missed hits when viewing with procmon. You'll find that at any given point in time there are a LOT of different processes looking for a LOT of dirs & reg keys that don't exist. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.