WebInspect Error: SPI.Scanners.Web.Crawl.Crawler.System.NullReferenceException:Object
Having an issue with a scan tht got about half way through (or less), which is "Runnig" but not progressing- no activity. The error in the Scan Log is "SPI.Scanners.Web.Crawl.Crawler.System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
Anyone have a fix? When I try to pause the scan, it stays in the "Running" state and I have to go to Task manager to kill the application. Other scans have run before and after this one, so it seems to be impacting only this one scan.
Are you able to re-open that scan and successfully use the Resume button? this could have been a resource issue or a hiccup at some point in the audit engines. A few such errors can generally be overlooked, but yours appears to have frozen the scanner.
Be aware that at times there is heavy script activity in the background that is not reflected on the Dashboard's activity charts, but that depends on the target site's content and the WebInspect settings (more thorough or less thorough for scripting). You may find a browser.exe process running that has hung, and killing that Task can move the scan along. WebInspect uses two script parsing engines, and browser.exe processes should normally spawn and die in the background as needed to manage that secondary processing.
If this continues to be an issue for this singular site, you might want to collect details and review it with Fortify Support (https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com). Here are suggested scan settings to aid with that trouble-shooting.
- enable Traffic Monitor, for added logging
- try a Crawl-Only rather than including all the Audit activity
- consider lowering to a single Requestor thread, or even setting it to Single Shared Requestor
- review the Logs Veiwer tol for that scan
Key data collection items for such a test would be:
- Export of that scan (*.SCAN), with Include Logs enabled
- Output from the Support tool under the Help menu. (enter a fake Case#, do not submit directly but use the Generate a File option)
- A Zip containing the "0000" folder found under the Logs directory (see WebInspect Application Settings for path).
-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify