Captain
Captain

WebInspect Log files Issue

Hi All

I have been using Webinspect for over 6 months now. I found that the scan logs are getting stored in my C drive.
There are mainly two kind of logs - "Scan Data" and "Logs"

Since these logs are occupying space in my C drive, I want to delete these files.
So my questions are
1. If I take a back up and delete these files, will it affect my scans ?
2. If these files are deleted, can I check my previous scans later ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Do not delete those until you read through this explanation!

(1)  Delete these files and you will have no scans left.

(2)  Delete these files and you will not be have no history of scans to look at.

A better solution would be to MOVE these folders and their data to a new partition with more space, and then update your WebInspect Application Settings > Directories panel to match their new location.  These two particular folders house data that should not be placed on a network share, but only on a local partition or drive.

The ScanData folder houses the actual SQL Express scan data files that represent your WebInspect scans.  these are the scans that are visible within WebInspect's Manage Scans UI pane.  It is preferable for you to use that UI to Delete scans, and not from the Windows Explorer folder.  If you use SQL Server instead of SQL Express, this folder is mostly empty.  the files have odd names that are actually the ScanID for each particular scan.  you can edit the visible Columns in the Manage Scans UI to include the ScanID column, if you need help coordinating these.  The ScanID is also part of the information posted in each scan's Scan Log.

You can manually copy in other SQL Express scan files to this ScanData folder, but they will not appear in the Manage Scans UI until you delete the Scans.XML file (which indexes this directory), and then re-open WebInspect.  That permits the Scans.XML file to rebuild itself and re-index the folder contents for display in the Manage Scan UI.

The Logs folder houses all of the logs that accompany the scans, and whether you use SQL Express or SQL Server there should be files here.  The sub-folders have odd names that are actually the ScanID for each individual scan.  See the paragraphs above to understand how to identify and work with the ScanIDs.  these are the folders that get accessed when you are using the Logs Viewer tool in WebInspect to reveiw the scan's logs.

There is also a few extra folders here used by WebInspect as application logs, particularly the one named with all zeroes ("0000...").  Do not delete this nor any folders that have names that look different from a standard ScanID.

Your best option for drive space is to MOVE these folders to another partition with more space and then update the Application Settings paths accordingly.

E.G. E:\WebInspect data\Scandata\

E.G. E:\WebInspect data\Logs\

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.