Valued Contributor.. duanecochran1 Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

WebInspect error "Scan initialization failed"

Jump to solution

When attempting to launch a WebInspect 16.10 scan, I get the error "Scan initialization failed".  Logs show that WI is failing to connect to SQL Server.  I am using RDP to access a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM with MS SQL Server 2012 Express.  Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Valued Contributor..

Re: WebInspect error "Scan initialization failed"

Jump to solution

Never mind.  Clearing out the SQLEXPRESS cache folder completely resolved this problem.  WI is running fine now.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

Never mind.  Clearing out the SQLEXPRESS cache folder completely resolved this problem.  WI is running fine now.

0 Likes
vrawat@transiti1 Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
Please specify the cache folder path? which need to be cleared.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
vrawat: See this other article fully detailing this SQL Express error and the corrections - https://community.saas.hpe.com/t5/Discussions/Scan-Initialization-Failed-error-with-WebInspect/m-p/1586938#M28 The SQL Express cache folder, \SQLEXPRESS\, is found under %localappdata%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
jjose@hpe.com1 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

I am getting the same error with WebInspect 16.10.

I cleared the contents in folder "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS" . But still getting the same error. Could you please help

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. pprofili Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Check that the SQL Express service is running.

Also ensure you're using a supported version and that there aren't multiple versions installed on the system (as can often be the case if you have Visual Studio installed for example.

0 Likes
Contributor.. dlambro Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

Clearing the SQLEXPRESS folder solved the Scan Initialization Failed problem for me. But I had to stop SQL Server to remove all the files. There were 2 services running that I stopped but for some reason the sqlsvr.exe did not stop. I had to use Task Manager to kill it. Then I could remove all the files - well, actually I moved them to another folder just in case. Then I restarted the system to be sure all the SQL Server processes started up in the proper order. Thanks Duane!

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

There are several items that need to be performed to clear this SQL Express cache folder quickly.  You have run across most of therm here.  🙂

See:

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.