Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Not applicable

Webinspect 7 can't connect to SQLExpress

Jump to solution

Hi

Tried installing/upgrading to Webinspect 7 today, installed SQLExpress and then WI 7

When I try to launch Webinspect, All I get is an error message saying :

"failed to generate a user instance of SQL server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed"

What am I doing wrong ? The SQLServer IS running.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erik.peterson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Webinspect 7 can't connect to SQLExpress

Jump to solution

Hi we have seen this issue from time to time if you have had lots of different versions of SQL Server installed on your system. The best way to fix is to make sure you have a clean install of SQL Server Express SP1 or later installed and then remove the following directory:

c:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS

If that doesn't resolve it, let me know. 

0 Likes
2 Replies
skottk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

You're probably trying to run WebInspect through Remote  Desktop.  SQL Express has a known defect that arises when trying to start the server through Remote Desktop:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896613

If you can access the actual workstation, follow the instructions in the MS link to delete the corrupted database from your user profile's Local Settings, then start WebInspect from the hardware keyboard and leave it running - you can lock the desktop, but leave WI running.  Then you can use Remote Desktopto access the running copy of the software.

Microsoft has a hotfix for the problem, but you need to call them for it.  SPIDynamics customer support was kind enough to send me the file.

0 Likes
erik.peterson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi we have seen this issue from time to time if you have had lots of different versions of SQL Server installed on your system. The best way to fix is to make sure you have a clean install of SQL Server Express SP1 or later installed and then remove the following directory:

c:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data\SQLEXPRESS

If that doesn't resolve it, let me know. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.